taxidermist for sheep

W

wyo_shortmag

I am going on a dall sheep hunt in '07. Hopefully I will need a taxidermist afterwards. Does anyone know a good taxidermist for sheep in the general vicinity of Wyoming? Also, does anyone have a ballpark cost for lifesize?? Thanks for the help.

I went in a shop several years ago in Casper, I think called Sundowner Taxidermy, or something like that(west side of town). He had some nice sheep mounts. In my area a lifesize sheep is between $2000-2500. That's why my bighorn got a shoulder mounted ($500).
In my opinion there are lots of good taxidermists out there, but you have to like their style. I would check out any locals and look at their work, to be sure before giving them your hard earned trophy. Good Luck

I would contact Buzzy Cook out of Olympia WA. Buzzy remounted the Chadwick Ram and its incredible. PM me and I will forward all of his information to you.

Drum

Lifesizing a ram seems to be running from about $2,500 to $4,000 approximately. The spread sometimes depends upon a taxidermist's existing workload, fame, custom work done on the form and/or habitat/base.

I can second Buzzi Cook, he's actually out of North Bend, WA. He did my wife's California bighorn (she drew when we lived in Washington state) and it is terrific, although is a shoulder mount.
JOHN O. "BUZZI" COOK III
OLYMPIC TAXIDERMY STUDIO, INC
47009 SE 153rd ST
NORTH BEND, WA 98045-9247
425-831-6273..B
425-831-6276..F

One word of caution on using a taxidermist far from you home. You usually don't get to stop by and check on progress when work actually starts and shipping/crating cost can really add up fast.

Just south of Wyoming, in Colorado, is Barry Smith. He does quality work and is particularly good with mountain sheep and goats.
Alpine Taxidermy
970-725-3534
813 Maple
HOT SULPHUR SPRINGS, CO 80451

I forgot about a good one that is actually in Wyoming:
Lynn Stewart
Box 631
Dubois, WY 82513
307-455-3549

Lynn's good and works hard for Wyoming's wild sheep as a member of the board of directors of the Wyoming Chapter of FNAWS.

North Slope Taxidermy
434 30th St # B
Elko, NV 89801

(775) 738-1626

harryhunter32504-10.jpg

harryhunter32504-11.jpg

harryhunter32504-12.jpg

harryhunter32504-9.jpg

Funny,I was thinking that John would be a good local choice.
He did a bull elk for me years ago.
You will not find a more honest hard working guy anywhere.
John does very good work and competes in national competitions.
HH

If your looking for a WY taxidermist you could also look up Dan Herring in Thermopolis. I have never seen his sheep but if it is the same class as his mule deer you will not be disappointed. His mule deer are some of the best I have ever seen.

Drum

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-06 AT 11:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-06 AT 11:01?PM (MST)

This isn't the best picture as I scanned it off of Herring's Brochure. He is a very good Taxidermist like Drum said.
Last week I was at a Taxidermist shop in Cortez, CO and was looking at his work since my friend left his Bull there to be mounted. Some really great work and he had two Sheep heads he had to get finished by Turkey day so they could be shipped back to owner in NY. Both rams were taken this year in NV & WY and will be done in a "one above the other" by use of rod shaft on back of one of them so that one head will be looking one way and the other ram will be looking another way ALL IN A TALL PEDESTAL TYPE MOUNT.
This shop is HURD'S in Cortez, CO. The two Rams are featured in the latest Huntin'Fool magazine and Richard HUrd is doing the work.
Brian

herringram.jpg

NEVER EVER use Hurds....
EVER.
I paid him for two Muley shoulder capes and a lifesize cape.
Absolutley nothing in return.
No email, no phone calls, nada.
$800 bucks.
He can kiss my...
HH

Ray Hattfield taxidermy in Cody Wyoming. This man has done some amazing things with animal skins. I would not be afraid to give him any thing from around the globe. Last time I was in his shop it was like walking onto Noah's Ark he had two of every thing in there. He also has a good turn around time. He used to work for the Smithsonian and also for the Buffalo Bill museum before opening up his own shop. He's out on the Powell highway east of town.

I've got a Lynn Stewart lifesize bighorn mount in my basement. It is excellent and the guy is first-class. Probably booked though, as usual. <:->

DougW

You might also look at some of Greg Hartman's (Hartman's Taxidermy) stuff in Sheridan,WY. He does a lot of life size sheep and does excellent work.

I would suggest World Class Wildlife Studio in Hamilton, MT. They do awesome work. PM me if you would like some mount photos and prices.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom