Taxi question.

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
I have a few tanned skins that I had done 6-8 years ago by New Method in San Fran. Are the still good? They have been in my house in one of the closets.

If they are tanned they are probably as good as when they were done, pending no parasite damage. They may be a bit dry and need oiled. As questioned, what is your plan for them? If they are wall hangers, dust, brush and hang up. If they were tanned for taxidermy, have the taxidermist look at them and assess.

Howdy,

Only your taxidermist will be able to tell whether these skins are able to be used. Many times after sitting this long tanned skins do not perform well for mounts. Tanned skins definately have a shelf life for mounting once they have been tanned. Alum base tans typicaly have a fairly short shelf life. Usually the thicker the skin the longer its shelf life will be. None of this is written in stone though, and whatever taxidermist you use should be able to provide answers when he puts his hands on them.

Best Luck

Probably not. But the only way to find out is to soak them up. Are they life size skins or shoulder capes? Do you have any of the corresponding back skins?

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

If the capes are cut plenty long, you can cut a piece out from the edge of the back or way down on the brisket. I'd do the antelope first, they usually don't hold up so well because they are so thin. Take that strip or chunk and toss it in some water with a little bit of salt. Soak it for 30 minutes and then take it out and tug on it. If it comes apart like a wet paper towel, it's no good. If it holds together and takes the tugging/stretching, there's a chance it's good.

Most tanneries use a alum based tannage which doesn't have much of a shelf life. But I've seen some skins make it without problems. On the other end, a tannery that uses a synthetic tannage will have a better shelf life, if they do it right. I've seen capes tanned with synthetic fall apart after only 2 years too.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-12 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]mickey,
I used to do some taxi work...for myself only and often used New Method.
I was told by a professional taxi that unless you hydrate them and then freeze them, they lose their elasticity.
You may be able to get by using a smaller form, but the only way to find out is to try it. You won't know until you try one.

Thanks, I'll try and cut a piece off of my antelope and see how it manages. Yes, the New Method tannery does shrink the skins down a size. They told me to place the cape in water with Dawn added for a period of time to allow the cape to expand. Afterwords freeze and then mount. At the time my shift changed so all my plans changed also. Can't really use them (except the antelope) so I was going to see if they were good so I to sell them. Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom