Target shooting on public land

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Is it legal to target shoot? In this case WY national forest.

I always like to be sure my gun is sighted in and I always hear/see others doing so but is it legal?

What places/states is not not legal in?

Thanks DonV

I would think that as long as you had a valid license to be out there with your firearm, it would be legal. Your hunting license does that. Idaho at one time used to allow you to get a non-hunting permit to shoot, if you didn't hunt, but it was only good from 1/1 to 8/31. Don't know if they still do that.

You certainly should be shooting targets, and not glass bottles or other litter. That would probably rile up the USFS more than anything. I refrain from shooting trees, just because I think it is dumb and needlessly destructive (but that's just personal).

In Utah if there is a big game hunt open in an area, that area becomes a "Temporary Game Preserve" and you can't even posses a gun (or bow, etc.) unless you are a licensed hunter for that area. There are some exceptions, but target shooting is not one of them. If you are a licensed hunter, then you should be fine if you need to check your zero before or during the hunt. This is just for Utah, not sure about other states.

Dax

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom