Taps

B

BreederBuck

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-10 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]I was at a funeral a while back for a World War II vet and when it come time to play taps someone just turned on a cassette or cd recording of it.
I not sure of any protocol but the recorded version didn't seem as meaningful or sincere to me.
I may be out of line here and if I am I apololgize, and it may be hard to find a bugle player on short notice, but doesn't it seem more respectful to have it played in person?
Once again, I am unfamiliar with millitary tradition so if I am out of bounds I apologize.

I have seen both done - and yes it is better when it is live but really it is often very difficult to find a decent horn player who can do it. I don't think however it is disrespectful if it is a recording - as long as it is handled with dignity and class.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

They have electronic bugles nowadays that just play taps themselves...no real playing required. The problem we are facing here though, is that the numbers of guys who even do flag ceremonies are dwindling. The WWII guys are dying and no one is stepping up to fill their place in the American Legion.

Here's a funny little quip I related when I wrote about this subject a few months ago:

"The American Legion men's organization and the Legion Ladies Auxiliary both need young blood. The Greatest Generation Ladies won't be around forever. It seems they attend more funerals nowadays than they do birthday parties. Last month, Mildred Betts entered the legion hall in Jensen only to discover a terrible smell. So, she began lighting candles to cover the smell. It was soon discovered the noxious odor was emanating from a propane tank. Longtime Legion member Boyd Redden told Mildred she'd gotten lucky that time then quipped, “If we'd have been blown up who would've done the 21 gun salute over our graves?” There is humor in Boyd's comments, but also a truth and a realization that once these people are gone, so are their traditions and a huge part of American culture and life."

It's funny, but it's true. We're having a heck of a time getting young people to join the Legion to carry on important traditions such as flag ceremonies for veterans at gravesides. When my dad died nearly 2 years ago the older fellows were all there, but the young kid, a returning soldier or active duty guardsman...I don't know what he was, who was supposed to fold the flag and hand it to my mother had no idea what he was supposed to do. One of the legion guys, a WWII vet, was helping him, but I could see the frustration on his face as the kid kept flubbing the ceremony. It's an important ritual and those WWII vets take great pride in it.

Also- there was a POW MIA ceremony we stayed at the cemetery for on Memorial Day in Roosevelt. It was a neat ceremony, but those older WWII vets had to stand out in the hot sun for 45 minutes before they got to do the 21 gun salute. I was worried about a few of them! I thought they were going to pass out and I KNEW they needed to sit down. But, like the true soldiers they are, they stood erect and didn't even so much as wipe the sweat from their brows. That made me very proud, but it was also further proof that those guys won't be able to do all that much longer and it's sad to think there is no one taking their place.

I have been to many ceromonies with my grandpa who is also a World War II vet, And I agree with you that the pride these gentelmen have is second to none.
Maybe that's why this taps deal stood out to me.
That's a tough generation that demands the best and in return deserves nothing less than the best.

My dad was a World War II vet. He served on the honor guard for all the vet funerals from Santaquin to Springville. When he died in 02 they had the honor guard there to give him a 21 gun salute and there was a set of boots, a rifle upside down bayonetted into the ground with a helmet on top to signify he was gone. They also played taps as an echo, 2 men on trumpet, one close and one far away. There wasn't a dry eye at the cemetary.

The younger generations are much too busy to learn skills such as playing a musical instrument. They are doing far too important stuff like playing Xbox. Soon, all these skills will be lost in the wind. But we'll have a nation of powerful gamers.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-10 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p]I love it when the VFW or Legion do the military stuff at a funeral. And taps being properly played on the bugle is a bit like "Amazing Grace" being sung from the heart acapella. There is really nothing quite so moving if done right.

Now for the funny story.

My Dad passed away in 2004 and he was a WWII vet but never active in any of those organizations. His brother on the other hand was. So he got with the VFW guys who knew my Dad, and they did the military honors at the graveside service. Very nice. But these old boys are typical examples of the problem TripleK is bringing to light. They are old. So they do the flag folding and then go to the salute. The first two volleys go off without a hitch. On the third though something didnt sound quite right, not as loud. One guy's gun didn't go off. So you hear "Bangggg" from the first six, relatively close to in unison, then you hear "Sh!t!!!", then an action being worked and the late report of a single gun going off. It was very hard not to laugh. It was a somber occasion of course and they did a great job but my siblings and I find our comfort in humor and we had a good laugh later that day over drinks along with several reenactments. :)

I am proud to say that being the American Legion Post Commander here in LaBarge we have an excellent Honor Guard. Even though we only do 1 or 2 funerals per year we always get a warm and respectful thank you from the community and deceased family members. Our oldest Color Guard members are Korean Vets and youngest are from Iraqi Freedom...and we are fortunate to have at least 2 high school boys volunteer to play Taps on there trumpets.
We will never lose the tradition as long as I am around here...

I've thought about this many times!

Our American Legion Guys do Taps at quite a few Funerals!

I thought the Guy with the Bugle was perty good till a few Funerals ago!

One time after raising the Bugle he had to pull it back down & turn it on,yes,it's an electric Bugle!

One other time (not local guys!) somebody forgot to change the batteries in the horn,Like NVB said,kinda makes you Laugh even though it wasn't funny!:D

I might be able to play a musical instrument like that!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

>I am proud to say that
>being the American Legion Post
>Commander here in LaBarge we
>have an excellent Honor Guard.
>Even though we only do
>1 or 2 funerals per
>year we always get a
>warm and respectful thank you
>from the community and deceased
>family members. Our oldest
>Color Guard members are Korean
>Vets and youngest are from
>Iraqi Freedom...and we are fortunate
>to have at least 2
>high school boys volunteer to
>play Taps on there trumpets.
>
>We will never lose the tradition
>as long as I am
>around here...

Good for you guys Longun! My Dad was a WWII vet as well and passed away in 2005. Unfortunately, I wasn't home to help with the arrangements and my family didn't go "all out" like I wanted. There were some of the "greatest generation" there to fold the flag and present it to me. I had gotten a haircut and got my service dress uniform cleaned before heading home for the funeral. I'll wear it twice more...Mother's funeral and MINE. The salute before I took the flag was crisply up then painfully slow on the way down.

The hardest thing I've ever done was present that flag to Mother while on one knee and tell her "on behalf of a grateful nation, we want to thank you for your husband's honorable service". Mother is hard of hearing, so I had to repeat it a little closer to her ear. I stood, saluted, and then joined the vets. It was hard to hold back the tears, but I pulled off the professional soldier thing.

Both of my brothers never served in the military and there was a Pi$$ing match over Daddy's "dollar bill". I pulled the trump card (retired military ID) and now carry Daddy's 1934 Silver Certificate "Short Snorter". He had it in his wallet since the war, along with baby pictures of all us kids.

It's unfortunate how some of the "younguns" aren't interested or haven't been taught the value or honor of doing the noble thing for our country. I have the utmost repsect for the ones that are carrying on the tradition and I told them to take care of MY Air Force when I retired.

SSG Arthur E. Green (US Army Engineers...Hooaah!) has been gone almost 6 years and it still hurts to think about it, but we're carrying on. There's nothing that puts a bigger lump than "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes at a funeral, though.

God Bless all you vets that remember what it is to sacrifice so all can live the lives they want, and especially God Bless all the troops answering the call of duty! It's not called "the profession of arms" for no reason.

Phil Green
SMSgt, USAF, Retired

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom