Tall Speed Goat

• Thread starter NeverStopHuntin
  • Start date
N

NeverStopHuntin

I realize these pics are horrible at best. It was early this morning and i didn't have time to get my camera set up properly.

Anyways how tall do you guys think this buck is? It looks like his prong is above his ear and his prong is less than half way up the horn.

This isn't a buck that i want to shoot. I don't really like how thin he is above the prong and i don't like how narrow he is. Plus i've seen some better bucks. I'm just curious what you guys think his height is

4a78f6051ba314f5.jpg

4a78f6201cf0abb3.jpg

4a78f6391da27678.jpg

Here is one with pretty good mass and decent prongs. Still hoping to find a bigger one but he might have to do for a first archery goat

4a78f8802dbc7b29.jpg

I'm sayin 79-80. Could be better, nice mass and cutters! Great looking buck!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-09 AT 09:22AM (MST)[p]I was thinking high seventies for the second one 77-78 but i'm not sure. He isn't super long but he has good mass and great shape (which is more important to me)

I'll post some more pictures of the second one.

Here is a few pics of the second buck. Again the pics are terrible but you can somewhat see his shape and mass

This one shows his shape and symmetry but makes him look kinda short
4a79a1bb305f6709.jpg

4a79a1eb312d76c7.jpg

Shows the prong legnth a little better
4a79a20831ef53ce.jpg

I have seen a couple bucks that i think are bigger but haven't been able to get pics or video yet. Will be doing a lot more scouting before the hunt rolls around

The second buck is a better buck. I think he'll score 76-78". I think the first buck is probably in the low 70's.

HiMtnHntr- i think you are probably close as far as score. I definately don't want to shoot the first buck. I don't like the look of him. I just was curious how tall he is.

We've seen a couple bucks that i think will break 80 but none of them are hitting the water hole i plan on hunting. Might have to go spot and stalk.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-09 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]I would guess his length to be as long as 15"......Just a guess.....I assume you are hunting Wyoming? If so, are you set on taking a buck with your bow, or returning for the rifle hunt? That second buck would be hard to pass up, either way. It looks like you are hunting an area that will work for spot and stalk, or ambush. If you can get ahead of a buck and get concealed and wait you might be able to head him off. Bucks this time of year are fairly patternable as far as area. If there is more than one water source in his area, it could be a "crap shoot" to sit water.

My family has killed several goats out of this area, the tallest being 16 3/8. This goat looks taller then the one we killed. But since he is thin and narrow it may make him look taller then he really is

These are utah goats. I have an archery only tag.

9 more days

Ryan, that first buck has got to be 16 and a half. The second buck has got to be pushing 80 in. Both bucks would be an awsome trophy. I'd shoot the heavy one. Best of luck man!

Thanks, its getting close and i could use all the luck i can get.

How did you do on tags this year?

Shoot me an email sometime.

We found another shooter buck this morning. Unfortunately none of the big boys are hitting the water hole that i plan on hunting. It looks like its going to be spot and stalk!

Here are a few trail cam pics of the smaller bucks i've got hitting water.

MDGC0195.jpg

MDGC0227.jpg

MDGC0230.jpg

MDGC0183.jpg

MDGC0057.jpg

MDGC0063.jpg

trailcam3030.jpg

trailcam3033.jpg

trailcam3035.jpg

trailcam3017.jpg

trailcam3006.jpg

Did you hire a hitman for all the wild horses because antelope are hitting the tank now? LOL.

I like the hooks on the buck in the fourth and sixth photo. His prongs aren't so great. While many may disagree, any buck within the mid 70's with archery tackle is a trophy to me. I am guessing this is NV so you will be facing a 5 year waiting period if you tag out so go all out and hold out for a monster.

I'd ventilate that flathead for sure, I LOVE those wierd ones! Geez, you are getting me all riled up for a Wyoming archery hunt!

Thats a good idea hillbillynv. A hitman might work out well!

Actually i still had hundreds and hundres of horse pictures. But luckily the antelope are starting to come in.

The BLM or DWR or someone has "improved" a small spring in the area. It was just a mud hole because the horses had stomped it into the ground. They put in a trough and i think it has spread out the horses a little.

Hopefully some big goats start hitting soon.

about the time you get a buck coming into the water, the blm will decide to build a fence around it to keep the horses out. it will take a week for the pronghorn to start crossing it!

that is not all a bad thing, the fence is a good idea. but when they do it in the middle of the season it can screw things up!

I think that first one is 17". I've killed a 1/2 dozen 16's and missed or passed on others but I don't believe any of them ever looked that long on the hoof. He's kinda spindly and won't score but he's pretty damn tall.

Man you guys are in a sweet speed goat spot! I too love that flat head. My dad and I were on to one just like that last year but couldn't seal the deal. He's still out there. Looks like you've got some really nice ones to choose from. To answer your earlier question we didn't get any good tags to speak of. Although it looks like Brian is going to keep us busy with his AZ tag. Should be fun!

Shoot either of the first two. the long one is over 16.
I also like those reverse hooks at the water trough. There was a killer "can opener" buck like that killed in NM or AZ a few years ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom