taking care of my cape?

K

KBKILLER

hey, i'll get a post up here tomorrow, but i killed a decent 6x7 today in oregon.

i've caped him to the nose, but usually i drop the cap off a the taxi. well i cant get him so i think i have to put the cape in the freezer. so, role him uphide in or out? and should he go in the freezer?
thanks

People who know more about it can chime in, but if you think you can get him tomorrow, I would just keep it in a cooler

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

KBKILLER sounds like you harvested a Elk. If you cape it out for a shoulder mount lay it on a something flat . If you cut it down the neck you want to bring the two side back together, hair to hair. Bring the ears together in the middle facing down the back. You might have to fold the sides one more time toward the middle. Start where the nose and roll it up. I place mine in a large trash bag. Get as much air out of the bag as possible, now tie it off and place it in your freezer. Ive had no problem keeping green hides in a trash bag for a very long time as long as removed all the meat and fat as I could and got as much air out of the bag. If your not able to remove all meat,fat you can still freeze it but I wouldn't let it go to long before you get it to your local taxidermist. I hope this helps quest

thanks a bunch! thats what i was thinking, but havent been in the situation before.

i'll get a post up tomorrow

I have always been told to do it skin to skin... I have never had to freeze one though. Hair to hair would probably be better if your freezing, so that the hide doesn't stick to itself from being frozen.

Hide to Hide & roll it up,put it in a bag & put it in the fridge for a day or two until you find your Taxi!
You don't need to freeze it yet!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

B-BOP @ SAGE, it's no utah L.E. bull, but for oregon hes not bad. even a blind squirl finds a nut every now and then right?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom