tailgate issues - need advice

ramtagless

I have noticed some guys have offered great advice in regards to truck problems. So to all the professionals and shade trees ? please help.

Short story long. (you will soon notice I am not a mechanic)

I have a 98 ? ton Silverado with 190K on it and the ol? girl needs to get me through a couple more hunting seasons. (among other things) the tailgate is broke.

I took the handle apart and the clippy things that hold the rods to the handle mechanism are broke. Fixed those with duct tape. The handle cover is broke because I broke that taking it apart. I have to hold the handle in the open position and use my finger to put the left latch thing in the right position to close the tailgate (and it still takes exactly two real hard trys to get the tailgate closed). And occasionally going down the road the tailgate flops open.

I can find the tailgate handle and bezel on line. I cannot find the whole shootin match online. Any ideas on where to find the entire mechanism (handle, bezel, connecting rod, cables and side latches)?

Thanks in advance for the help?.Andy

ps?any general advice on plugs and plug wires? (more expensive stuff worth the money?)

I'm not a mechanic either, but I've had no less than 7 chevy's with the same tailgate latch problem.

The connecting rods seem to stretch, then they won't open the latch unless you reach inside and pull them with your fingers.

I found that I can cut the end off the rod a little bit and rebend it to fit back in the handle. It will then open the latch without reaching inside the little square hole.

I don't know where to buy the parts, but that little idea seemed to work everytime for me.

Have you tried the local junk yards...pull-a-part...etc....???

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

DBD - that probably would have worked 30K ago - but now its so far gone I need to replace it. Good idea - wish I would have thought of that before it all went to hell.

Good idea bucksnort - have not tried that.

I actually found the whole kit online and saved the site. Then lost it after a firefox upgrade. Now cant find it.

Its been a good truck with few problems - but the little stuff pisses ya off. Like those clips - how much would it have cost to make them out of stamped metal instead of plastic - an extra quarter....

Here you go...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=27

I have done business with this company before...They are good..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Thanks very much. Looks like that will get me what I need. Very much appreciated. Now if I can just put it all together with out breaking more sh!t.

One of the positives of the poor economy - I am finally starting to figure out some of this maintenance stuff for myself.

My 91 Suburban, with 258,000 has been held together by LMC truck parts and NAPA....who has every clip ever made.

I also considered just walking into a napa store and doing it the old fashion way - talking to an actual human being. Just was not sure they would carry what I need.

I work in a napa store and no we cant get you the whole setup. all we can get are the handle and clippy things for the rods. we cant get the rods or latches. your best bet is a junkyard.

Go to a fab shop and have a custom one made with a bull elk cut into it or something similer.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Yep - you need to go to a junk yard and get a whole new tailgate - especially one of a different color - will give your old truck some character!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

If you really want to get classy, cut you a chunk off a old 2X12 plank to fit. Some guys then drill holes in it to allow less wind resistance at higher speeds, better gas mileage :)

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom