TAGS service

B

BayouBengal

I am 28 and grew up in the south and am just now getting into Western hunting. Is Cabela's TAGS service the most economical and hassle-free application method for Sheep, Goats, Elk, Moose, and Mule Deer? It seems like a nightmare for a NR hunter to apply in each state individually, and I would really like to start building preference points now for years on down the road when some of the more expensive ventures are a little more practical. Just wondering if anyone had opinions on Cabelas service versus other methods. Thanks for the help!

I don't feel it's worth paying someone to submit my applications. The toughest part is coming up with the cash, or credit and interest, necessary, especially if sheep and goats are on youe wish list, but you could get the credit cheaper on your own than from the services that lend. Really, it's gouging, the states have pyramid extortion systems in place to force you to cough up many expensive yearly fees/taxes far in advance of when you can actually go...You don't want to think about how expensive a nonresident sheep tag really is:)

I use Larry Altimus' service HAS. He not only does the application but fronts the tag costs(you must pay about $50 per application plus all licenses purchased). A big time-
saver and well worth the money IMO.Ever since Cabelas TAGS failed to get their AZ elk apps in on time a couple of years ago I have not had faith in them.

I do my own apps in WY,CO, and ID since I am already familiar with their application process.

Good luck!

I had a service put me for the wrong unit. Oh well. TAGS seems expensive at $50 per animal per state. Maybe pay $100 for HuntinFool magazine and do the applications yourself since their magazine will keep you up to date on deadline OR buy both Eastmans Hunting Journal and Eastmans Bowhunting Journal and get good information as well. You got to get both Eastmans mags because they set it up that by staggering the info. Eastmans is still cheaper than HuntinFool. If you are unsure get all HF and both Eastmans and get going. Other alternative is let a service do it the first year to give you an idea of what is going on.
OR.....................If you know you are going to go with a guide for sure just pick a guide in each state and he will be glad to do your applications for free! Maybe split it up.
Do Colorado deer and elk online and paper sheep/goat. It's easy. Some states are easy!
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

No doubt some guys have more money than time thus an application service makes sense. But when putting in for 30 or so tags per year around the west I would be hard pressed to spend that much money on so little--and expect the service to thoughtfully choose units that best meet my preferences, and combined scheduling needs based on work/personal schedule, including various hunts that are more 'planned' than merely hoped for.

As with anything, it can pay off to learn how to handle the job yourself. Learning about the optimal hunts for you and doing all the scheming and planning on your own can be enjoyable as well.

Pick the states and animals that interest you and learn the application process.It saves you alot of money in the long run.

HuntinFool, HuntinFool, HuntinFool!!!! I am also from the south and I started using their magazine in 2002 as a guide to put in for the draws. I do all my appplications myself. With the info they have you can easily do all of your own applications. Every state but Arizona has an online application process; so no paper. I have drawn Nevada Mule Deer, Montana Bighorn Sheep, and I just pulled a AZ unit 10 elk archery tag (with 13 bonus points). you have to be organized, but it is not that hard.
If you want to pay someone to apply for you use Larry Altimus's HAS service.
PM me if you want more info from Dixie.

TAGS is good for fronting those huge tag fees. If you are going to apply for in Idaho or New Mexico for the pricey tags (sheep, moose, ibex, etc), then TAGS may be a good option. If you just want to draw an elk or deer tag, or get bonus points, then use some of the research tools and resources to apply on your own.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom