Tag Reductions

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I was talking to a Wy biologist about my elk hunt this year and I brought up the subject of deer, specifically Region "D" I was told that they reduced tags from 2100 NRs last year to 1100 this year. Only 1700+ applied last year so it was a 100% draw for everyone. This year it looks like some 0 PPers won't draw.

Just FYI

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-12 AT 07:09PM (MST)[p]i talked with the Gamewarden from Medicine bow and he said the same thing.He said it will be tough to even get a buck on public land in his area,they are really down in numbers.They also shorten the season by a week there.
He even said antelope are down too.He thought I would see about a third less antelope this year , compaired to two years ago.
Time is comming to apply for the draw and I am still undecided about deer.
My antelope plans are made.

They have probably done the only two things they can do based on the big decrease in herd numbers down there and that's to shorten the season and cut NR tag numbers. It's a lot more difficult to cut resident hunter numbers when they have the numerous units that are under the general license for them.

Do they post how many tags are available prior to applying or is that number only provided after the draw? I couldn't find it on the website.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-12 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]Most of region D will be LQ next year for both Residents and Nonresidents...

The information is correct, the region D NR tags are being cut drastically...the problem with re-active instead of pro-active management.

3000Shortmag---The only thing posted by G&F before the draw is the season opening dates for the units. The tag numbers are not actually offical until the Rules & Regulations are finalized and posted in late Spring to early Summer. That's why you can't find anything as far as tag numbers right now.

Glad to hear it. I've been raising hell at the spring meetings for quite a few years about 66 going down hill. Last year at the spring meeting was the first time I've ever heard someone at the G&F ackowledge there was a problem. I spoke up and said I've bringing this up for years. I then suggested they significantly decrease non rezi tags. I was told it was too late for 2011, but they anticipated a significant reduction in 2012. About time they start getting a clue...

I am glad they are doing something .The last time I deer hunted up by the Shirley Mountains/Chalk Mountain area,I only saw a couple small bucks and 8-10 doe in a week of hunting.Back a few years ago I would see 50 or more deer per day and always had a chance at a big buck.
I hope those days return.

I have talked to gamewardens and biologists in Region B,C, Y and D and they all give a bleek outlook for next fall for deer,espcially on public land . They all say a person is going to hunt hard to be successful this year.Mule deer numbers are down thru out the areas.

I knew the northern part of B sucked two years ago when I was over there, but I didn't know that C and Y were also hurting! It looks like the poor old mulies best days are behind us in many places and it's a darn shame!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-12 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]I was told that some of the private ranch's still has some good deer hunting,but no recomendation for public land.
I think the ranch's that had hay stacks that the deer could get into must of helped them make it thru the bad winter.That along with limited hunting pressure.
I don't think any one thing can be blamed for the decrease in deer numbers.Winter kill,predation,desease and hunting pressure all have taken it's toll when added up together.The good thing is the Game and Fish are taking some action to help corect this .It is going to take some time and lets hope there is not another hard winter for a few years.

So if they're dropping tag numbers for region tags which usually have left overs, I'm stumped as to what to do. I usually put in for a point and pull a left over region tag.

I don't want to burn my points on a region tag, but also don't want to be high and dry with no leftover tags!

Any of you have ideas of what I can do that I'm not thinking about?

I think there will be leftovers some where,because alot of hunters are in the same situation.I would be ready when leftovers are available to purchase one as I think they will go fast.That is my plans any way.

300----

Maybe do your 'Region' tag as 2nd or 3rd choice then ya might not have to worry about the Leftover List numbers--if any?

Robb

That's exactly what I would do Robb! That way he can buy the PP, put in for an impossible unit to save the PPs, and put in one or two Regions that have normally had a lot of leftovers. That way if it gets down to the nitty gritty, at least he's in the draw and has a chance for one, rather than missing out if they all go in the draws and not even have a chance at one by waiting for the leftovers.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-12 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]With the cost of fuel,I think there will be less applicants this year.Even with the reduction in tags i think there will be leftovers some where,but not in a unit you may want.Probably for you it would be best to do what the others sugjested.
I am all but certain I will draw my antelope tags and if I don't get a deer tag in the leftovers ,I will just hunt the goats.Lots of fun !

Thanks for the advice... I wasn't sure if that 2nd choice drained my preference points. I appreciate the help.

>I was talking to a Wy
>biologist about my elk hunt
>this year and I brought
>up the subject of deer,
>specifically Region "D" I
>was told that they reduced
>tags from 2100 NRs last
>year to 1100 this year.
> Only 1700+ applied last
>year so it was a
>100% draw for everyone.
>This year it looks like
>some 0 PPers won't draw.
>
>
>Just FYI

I am looking at two different links - shown below:
http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/Draw_Deer_PP_NonRes_2011.pdf

and
http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/Draw_Deer_RD_NonRes_2011.pdf

I see the total number of tags at 2,038 for Region D. There was a total of 860 tags given out during the Preference Point draw, and 860 possibly given out during the random draw (coincidence?), for a total of 1180 tags awarded. I may be missing something here, and please correct me if I am wrong, but how will the reduction of tags from 2100 to 1100 help the herd if there was only 1180 hunting to begin with? Additionally, this should be a 93% chance draw if in fact the tags are reduced to 1100 in 2012, right?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom