Swarovski's on E-bay - Not all it's cracked up to be

S

squatch

Like most other hunters I'm always looking for a deal. I've been considering a pair of Swarovski binoculars for awhile. I know the retail price, but am not willing to pay it with a $1.33 Euro. If you all havent noticed, all European bino's have gone up like $500 in the past 2 yrs.

Last week I checked on E-bay and literally 5 of the first 6 Swarovski's I tried to check out were closed down. If you read the fine print with e-bay, they are basically closed down because they are "scammers". Ebay only will cover you for $900 if you buy through Pay Pal. Moral of the story .... if it looks too good to be true, it probably is a fake. WATCH YOUR BACKS ON THERE!!!

And yes, I know - you get what you pay for. But no need in getting ripped off in the process.

I just wanted to hear your experiences with dealing with E-bay and binoc's?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-06 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p]There's been a rash of people's accounts getting hijacked on Ebay, so be careful, but if you use a little common sense, you can find some great deals.

Never bypass Ebay's process and arrange to buy directly from an individual, and especially never pay them through a Western Union cash transfer. Also, make sure you pay attention to the category where the item is listed because a lot times when it's a hijacked account, the item listed/pictured won't match the item category...binos listed under housewares or something along those lines.

I buy and sell a few optics as a hobby and as a means of making a few bucks, so believe me when I say there's deals to be made, just be cautious. A big trick to it is to have cash on hand so you can jump when the right deal comes along. Anyway, hope that helps.

A friend of mine who doen't have an ebay account wanted me to buy a pair of Swarovskis for him off ebay. Of course he gave me the money, he just wanted to use my account. They were New with American warranty 10x42 SLC's for $800.00 but it now price. The guy had 100% feedback. Even though I told him "I can't believe the price is so cheap" we still bought them. When we recieved them there was a Sportsmans Wherehouse sticker on the box. All seamed well for a month or two until I recieved a call from a Utah detective. Evidently the guy we bought them from was stealing them from the Sportsman and selling them on ebay. We were allowed to keep the binoculars but since they weren't bought through a certified seller the warranty was void. Be careful!!!!!!

If we can ever be of service to you it would be our pleasure. We have done our best to take care of the members of this site. We offer values in demos, samples and new product and try to give fine customer service.

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com

You have to be very careful buying Swarovski's on eBay. I have seen many that were obivously a scam. Just use your good judgement and you should be okay.

I once bought binos on eBay as a gift for my father. They were Nikon ATB's and the best price around was on eBay (I was outbid and got them as a second-chance offer if I remember correctly). Anyway, turns out that it was Doug from Camera Land that was selling them to me. I would recommend him.

Mark

I am staying far far away from EBAY for a while. I have been looking seriously for a few weeks and have been bidding quite high (as much as $1400) on a few pair of Swaros. Needless to say, no purchase has been made and all the auctions I had been bidding on have been cancelled.

I even recieved a few e-mails from sellers telling me up front that their accounts had been hacked and to help them with notifying EBAY.

sucks.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Chef,

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest you contact Doug at Cameraland to see if he has any demo Swarovski EL's. I know he's carrying Swarovski now and sometimes gets demos in at reduced prices. Swarovski is one company that I wouldn't blink an eye at in purchasing used/demos when it comes to warranty coverage, as I've enver heard of them denying anyone. I know their written warranty policy says otherwise, but they're probably the best in the business when it comes to customer service for used goods.

Some of these guys are so stupid. They can't even get the heading to match a picture when they are trying to scam you. For instance, a heading for 10x42 EL's with a pic of SLC's.

I bought a scope from doug at Cameraland and he took care of me. Whenever I called him with a question he called back. Don't get scamed, you get what you pay for.

Rich

not just swarovski but leica too . i had a friend and his brother get scammed on ebay over 2grand in binos. the account had no red flags 100% ratings . the account wouldnt accept paypal only money order . thats the first sign to look for no pay pal or credit cards , check or money order to late cant get your money back.

I bought my EL's on EBAY about 18 months ago for $1100 and they have been great. I filed all of the paperwork with Swarovski and they gave me the warranty on them plus all of the other trinkets and patches they include.

I buy and sell alot on EBAY, you have to look at histories and feedback from sellers. On expensive items, I only use PAYPAL and I will only purchase from a reputable buyer with lots of feedback.

I have a pair of 10x42 SLC's I was going to sell on E-bay but not you have me thinking. Can you suggest a better place to sell them?

Archer

>I have a pair of 10x42
>SLC's I was going to
>sell on E-bay but not
>you have me thinking.
>Can you suggest a better
>place to sell them?
>
>Archer

How about right here on MM?

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com

Listed them in this forum before with no response. Maybe I put them in the wrong place.

Archer

I bought my EL 10-42's and STS 80 spotting scope on ebay. You have to watch what your doing but they are there. I got the EL's and STS 80 both for $1095. Got both the warranty's psperwork from Swarovski. Watch what your doing and it can be done. Can't beat the price. Look at someone selling a used set and get the serial number and contact Swarovski to make sure its not a black market set. Best of luck.

mickeyelk,

You got well over $3000 worth of optics for $1095 ? That was a steal..... maybe more than once.

JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom