Swarovski spotting scope

BenHuntn

This is for the guy's or gals using a swarovski spotting scope I am thinking of getting one. Is the 80mm the best or the 65mm. I will be using it to spot game way out. Is the 80mm to shakey and prone to pick up the heat waves? Will the 65mm suffice. Let me know which model is the best ie ATM ATS HD?

Thanks in advance

Depends a lot on what your doing? I pack mine around with me all the time and therefore I choose the 65mm. I am sure the 80 mm brings in more light, but I have no problem seeing game through it before I can see with just my naked eyes. I got the straight model because I do most of my glassing from the top of the mountain down and it's a little better from the truck.

Having said that I just used an angled a little last night and that didn't bother me too much besides the fact that it takes some time getting used to where it is actual glassing. I would be thinking that I was looking at an area then I look up and the scope is about 35-45% from there.

You can't go wrong with any Swarovski IMO.

Swarovski are nice! if your gonna be doing any back country, high country, or packing in alot id get 65. weight is the only downside between the 2. 80mm is great! you gotta weigh your option.

Latley I have been using horses to get me into the backcountry in Wyoming. I have a really nice Leupold spotting scope but I wish to upgrade. I think the extra weight would be an issue if I were hiking alot. Is the HD version a noticable difference?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-11 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]I too just bought a Swarovski here a few months before season. I opted for the ATS 65mm as I do alot of hiking with scope and tripod in my pack. I love it, but I know it picks up ALOT of heat waves during the heat of the day and could only imagine the 80 picking up the same or even more... Either way I think it would be a good investment, but like was stated before. Weigh out your options and what you are/ and what you aren't willing to sacrifice. Good luck on making your decision!

OH, and as far as the HD model I have been told from people who have used both that if you spend A TON of time behind the both of them you might be be able to tell a difference but most won't. Unless all you are doing is taking pics then the HD is the way to go. But I have taken several pics through mine and if they are within a reasonable range and the heat waves aren't bad they come out looking fine. I just couldn't justify the price difference between the 2...

i have had my sts 65 for about 4 years and i love it. i scope through it and use it to digiscope. my brother has the angled and he likes it too. usually we glass together and i can see the pros of an angled spotter but he has mentioned that he wished he went with the straight model. i guess it is preference. i know i wouldnt trade him my sts for anything. 65 mm gathers plenty of light. in the mornings i can use my spotter while my nikon monarchs are still useless in low light.

I had the 80mm and it is quite a bit bigger than the 65mm. I went to the 65mm and love it. The 65mm is much easier to fit in the back and do backpack hunting if needed.

savvyninja I paid $1489 n change out the door for mine several months back...

Wow! Now I know why I asked. That kind of scope is way out of my league...in more ways than one $$$.

have the 80 hd i love it. it is totaly awsome. binos also 10x42 they didnt cost me a thing. some gies donated them to me.good luck.

In a love-hate relationship with ATS-80s.

I thought that wanted the best light gathering capability and found a great price, so I went with the 80 mm objective. Can't beat the optics: e.g. On last year's hunt I found a herd of antelope about a mile away. That would be across two 300-foot deep canyons.

Better glass will see everything better, even atmospheric disturbances. The heat waves are not in the scope, they are between the scope and the object, so a good scope sees more heat waves. "Steady" depends more on your tripod and less on the scope.

Unfortunately I didn't think much about carrying the beast around.
The 80mm is heavy and big. It doesn't fit in my "Scope Pocket" on my pack.

I'd go with 65mm next time.

Best option IMO the ATM 65 HD. I have used both 65 and 80 swaros, hd and standard. I can honestly say the optically there is very little difference, even at twilight, between the two scopes. Becuase the 80 has a larger exit pupil it is a little more comfortable on the eye.

I noticed, side by side, that hd helped most significantly with color rendition. I could make out different reds, greys, greens, etc better than the standard glass and yes HD is popular with digiscopers. Is hd worth $500 + extra? That is subjective. Because I opted to the smaller 65 and wanted HD to get as much out of a 65 as I could and I am very happy with my choice.

By the way the newer M scopes are about 1/4 pound lighter than the S scopes... They have a magnesium housing rather than aluminum.

If your not packing your scope or have no concern for size/weight/price, buy the 80!

I have worked my way up the "food chain" and finally got yo Swarovski early last fall. I got the straight 65mm HD w/25-50x wide angle eyepiece. It is lightweight, had better clarity than my naked eye, same field of view as the 80mm (wa eyepiece). If it is light enough to shoot, you can see through it. I think I will be keeping this one for A LONG TIME!

I used to have the ATS 80 in non HD. I sold it because I do a lot of backpack hunting and went to the ATM 65 with HD to save weight. I love the 65 and can see everything with it that I could see with the 80. But I love to take pictures through my scope and I learned that the 80 allowed me to take pictures in more situations than the 65 due to more light gathering capability. I did notice that the quality of my pictures were better with the HD as compared to the non HD but in low light situations the 80 allows me to take those pictures earlier in the morning, later at night and on overcast days. I'm considering going back to the 80mm but in the HD model.
As stated above, the tripod is the key to wether or not your scope will be shakey. So it makes no difference which scope you get when it comes to shakiness except for the fact that the 80mm is a little bit heavier and will probably sturdy up the scope better than the 65. Kinda like a heavy barrel on a rifle.
Every scope in the world will show heat waves and there is no getting away from it. Swarovski will just make them prettier to look at, lol.
You cannot go wrong with Swarovski and everybody compares thier other namebrand scopes to swarovski. Anything made from Mattel or Tonka to Tasco, Vortex, Leupold, Nikon, Kowa and everything in between. Its because Swarovski has proven to be one of the best and has proven to honor thier warranty, has proven to make attachments and tripods to go with thier products, and has proven to stay on top in the field of optics. There definitely are other namebrands that are just as good and other namebrands that are a lot cheaper that look comparable to the untrained eye but you will definitely have one of the best when you get a swaro. Goodluck, fatrooster.

Clearly if you will pack the scope I would consider the 65mm. That is what I have and I am happy with the size. If you will primarily hunt from horses or glass from close to quad/truck then go with the 80mm as the extra 20-30 minutes of useful light can be real handy when hunting mule deer and elk. The cost of used Swaro's seem to have gone down $200-$400 depending on the model since the new M models have come out. The older models didn't become worse, so this means good deals for those looking now. I have seen many deals on the non-HD 65 for $1200. Just avoid anything with lense scratches!

I have the swaro 80mm angled and love it. It fits nice on my side pocket of my hornhunter pack. Nothing wrong with the 65mm. One huge advantage for me and the angled is it doesnt have to be set at a perfect height for different people to look through but they take a little getting used to. I am 6'2" and alot of clients are shorter so I can quickly set it up at a comfortable height for both of us. Sometimes getting set up quick is the difference in being successful. You probably already know this but your scope is only as good as your tripod. good luck

Josh Jennings

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom