Swarovski Spotter vs. Nikon Fieldscope III ED

flyingbrass

Which is better? I am considering the Swaro 65 sts with the 20x60 lens (non ed model) and also the Nikon Fieldscope III ED model. I can't swing a swaro ed model so that is out of the question. I know the Swaro is a little more than the Nikon Ed but those are the two I am considering.

cold dead hands

I just posted this same question a week or so ago, so I have been doing my own homework on these two scopes.

I ordered the Nikon from a guy in Hillsboro, Or. who let me keep it for five days and then I could send it back if I didn't like it. So when I got it last Thursday I took it out around my house and checked it out then Saturday I went to SW and had the lady haul the Swarovski outside ( not the HD)where I had the Nikon set up. I looked through both scopes at the same object at different powers and in MY opinion the Nikon Field Scope ED in a 20x60 60mm is as good or maybe better the the Swarovski. I could not see any difference, now this is my opinion. I went ahead and kept the Nikon, like I told my buddy if I thought the Swarovski was better I would have spent the money, but I personally did not see it.

My opinion and experience.

Flyingbrass sned me a PM if you have any furhter questions.

Good luck,

Slide

Most of the medium to high end scopes look great and are difficult to see a difference, when you are in daylight. You need to compare them side by side when there is very little light, you will then be able to see a significant difference. That is when the Swarovski's are worth the money they ask for them. Just for a few extra minutes each day. I have had a Nikon
Fieldscope, a Leupold, and a Swarovski 80mm STS HD and a 65mm ATS standard. The Swaro's are simply the best. I know you are not going HD, IMO there is no reason to go HD unless you are going to take pictures through the scope. there is no clarity difference in the two that I can detect, only a coloration difference which I don't think the human eye can detect (mine can't, but I'm also 48 yrs old), only a photograph. I now use the 65mm exclusively as I generally hunt off my back and want to save the weight.

I have a Nikon Fieldscope III with a 20-60x eyepiece. I've used this side by side with Leica and Swaro during muley and elk hunts. In my opinion, the Nikon can hold its own to about 40x. Above 40x both Swaro and Leica deliver a sharper image than the Nikon. I'd say the Swaro is slightly clearer than the Leica as well.
-Raptor

DIYHunt,

since you have had both 65 and 80mm swaro's, what is you opinion on which one to get? mostly backpacking, but willing to have the heavier/larger 80mm if its worth it. will the 80 allow you to see better at higher power and/or in low light? never looked through a swaro scope much, how well can you see through one when on 60 power? my old nikon spotter xl is pretty much worthless above 25-30 power.

thanks

I exclusively Back Pack. that is the main reason I went with the 65mm and sold my 80mm. I did use them both side by side a few times. I would have to say that the 80mm will give you a touch more light at 20X in very poor light. However, if you start to zoom at all the lighting difference is negligible. As you zoom you use less and less of the exit lens. That is the reason you have a lot poorer quality with any zoom at higher powers. I have found that with the swaro's you can get great resolution to 35 to 40X and even good resolution to 60X. 50 to 60 works best in bright light. if you are in lower light you will find yourself limiting the power to 35 to 40 max, and very low light you will probably only use 20X. At 20X they are exceptional eve in very dim light.

DIY summed it up nicely.

I spent the last hours of daylight one evening looking at the deer and elk east of Cabelas through the 80 HD, 65 HD and the standard 65

In the end I bought the standard 65 ATS for the EXACT reasons DIY stated in his last post.

My bottom line was an excellent pack scope and the 80 HD didn't set itself far enough ahead of the 65 to justify the extra weight and bulk.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

DIY is dead on in my opinion as well.

I have the Swaro 80 HD, and will not pack it any more on multi day spike hunts. I wish I would have purchased the 65 for an all around scope.

I now have a compact Brunton ED 50, which I throw in my pack. It is good pack scope, but wish I had the 60 power of the Swaro.

Ed

47e920d17ec7ddd7.jpg

Brass - I have a Nikon Fieldscope III ED with the 20 - 60 eyepiece that I will make you a great deal on. It has never been in the field and I have all the original packing, cases and papers!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom