Swarovski 15x56 for a sheep hunt

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
I am looking for new binoculars for a desert sheep hunt with my son. I have been considering the Swarovski 15x56 on a tripod for finding sheep and then using my spotting scope to get a closer look. Any experience with this set up and what do you think? Also what do you guys think about the cheaper 15x glass?
Any advice is appreciated

I have the tripod from Western Outdoors that holds both, sweet set up. More of load than I like to carry sometimes but once I get to where I'm going I love it.

Alex

little;
You will never be sorry with the swarovski 15x56. I have them and loved them for years. Get a good fluid head for your tripod
and you are all set to find the trophy of your dreams.
I have owned cheaper glass, but my first pair of zeiss 10x40 classics, sold me on quality glass. Make the investment.
Steve Cheuvront

I love my 15x56's but if I were in your shoes I would buy the Big Doctor's 20-50x80 binos. Then you can leave your spotting scope home. Best big glass out there.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 09:38PM (MST)[p]Stick with your idea, this set-up has been tried and tested and works great. I have the Swaro 15x's and NOTHING finds game better up to 2.0 miles. I have the 65mm HD Swaro and they work better up to 5.0 miles and on Trophy judging. Definetely get a good tripod with enough size and weight to hold steady. I have a $100 SLIK aluminum tripod that is AWESOME for the $$ and amazing sturdy, though I wouldn't try to pack it too much at 7lbs, but I can glass with these 15x's in a 10 mph wind and not go crazy.

Good Luck.

You will never regret, buying the Swarovski 15's. What unit did you draw?

Take out more than you brought in!

dryflyelk;
Why such a negative responce?
The man asked for advise, and received it.
I'm sure he knows the price for each type of glass.
Steve Cheuvront

Thanks for the comments and information. I just got back from a scouting trip and this country is huge. The only way we found sheep was to find them with the Spotting Scopes and even then they were small. The Doctors are very tempting, but yes they would probably bankrupt me. (not to mention the cost of a divorce settlement!)

Did you have the 15x56's on your scouting trip? The 15x Swarovski's are the Gold Standard in my book. You can look through them all day long. Put them on a Jim White Head or Bogen 3160 fluid head and a Slik Carbon Fiber 713 tripod and your set. B&H photo has the Slik tripod (~$230), the Outdoorsman in Cave Creek Arizona for the Jim White head and ebay for the Bogen 3160.

Good luck on your sheep hunt.

The DR's are the best if your glassing from the truck. They are a load themselves just to pack around. I would also stick to the 15x56 and pack a swarovski scope for a better look. There are also places that you can rent big binoculars for your hunt. Good luck!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Hey,
I followed the advice of the majority and picked me up a used pair of Swaro 15X56s.
I am waiting on an adapter I bought on ebay and I will be set to go. I did not have them on my scouting trip, but my son still picked up two different groups of ewes with the spotting scope.
Thanks again for the advice. I hope the expense is rewarded with a big ram sighting in October or November!
We will keep you all posted on the hunt. It is going to be hard to wait five months before it all happens!

I have both the 56's and the 42's. I actually use the 42's a little more on a tripod for sitting and glassing. They have a larger field of view, and if you can see them with your 56's then you can see them with your 42's.

Just thinking, if you already have the spotting scope to get zoomed in, the 42s are much easier to operate if you want to look at something without the tripod. Much cheaper too.

But I agree with most of these guys, you wont regret the 56's. But if your like me, you'll get more use out of the 42's.

Is that ethical?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom