Swarovision 8.5's

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I've been watching a pair of demo EL's at local Cabelas. Finally offered the guy that run's the dept an offer I couldn't refuse and to my surprise he accepted.

I took them home last night and did an eve twilight comparison to my current 8x30 slc's and 15x56 slc's. While I was suprised how well the little slc's compared when on a steady rest at 9pm, you could see a noticeable pop in the color, which is often what catches my eye when spotting game. The color brightness also helps when offhand glassing and your not so steady. There was suprisingly a noticeable mangification diff even though one was 8.0x and the other 8.5x. So it looks like my kids may inherit the smaller slc's, or I may have to sell them, depending on my wife's reaction to the CC statement. I certainly think for young guys who want quality but can't afford $2k, these smaller SLC's should be considered as they are bullet proof.

Comparing them to the 15x56's, I must say the big eye's showed me clearly their advantage. The clarity in the big glass is so good that I did'nt even see a clear advantage in twilight, because the clarity combined with the magnification overcame the extra "light" of the larger exit pupil.

There was a good 20 minutes of useable light on the EL's. Not sure if all of it was due to the almost 1mm in additional exit pupil size, or due in some part to the coatings. Again, the power of the 15x's did offset the brightness alowing me to glass later, but frankly when hunting these aren't often used the last and first 15 minutes, my carry bino's are.

Clearly these are apples and oranges in what they are intended to do. I will say if I was looking to get only one set of quality optics for the long term for big country glassing like Idaho, I would get 10x50's, like my good hunting buddy uses. I think they provide the best balance of large exit pupil for low light while being the upper limit on what you can glass with without a rest.

As a system, I am very happy with these 8.5x42 EL's as carry bino's and combined with the Big Eye's in the field, will make an amazing game finding tandem. Either way you can't go wrong with Swaro's.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-12 AT 10:40PM (MST)[p]
Swarovski improved the prism coatings as well as adding ED glass to the swarovision. I had a late 2008 EL 8.5x42 and my 8.5x42 swarovision is clearly better in low light and sharpness (regardless of the fact that the swarovision has field flattener lenses).

The SLC HD is a slightly brighter glass than the Swarovision but it does not have the same quality of prism coatings as the Swarovision so its not any better in low light.

Brightness is not everything, improved contrast also helps in low light. The effect of the improved contrast on sharpness in low and normal light became evident to me when I first compared my new Swarovision 8.5 to my Zeiss FL. My FL is just as bright but lacks the contrast. I can see more detail with the 8.5 swarovision in low light then I can with my 10x42 FL. I think the test would be the same with a 8x42 FL, its the differences in coatings/contrast. The new Zeiss victory HT bino they are bringing out advertises an average of 95% light transmission over the entire visible spectrum which is roughly 3-5% beter than the Swarovision or Zeiss FL, but unless Zeiss improves the contrast as well as edge sharpness I think they will have a hard time selling it. The Nikon EDG is great like the Swarovision optically but its just not in the runnin with the Zeiss and Swarovski offerings in brightness.

I too have a 15x glass as well as both 85mm and 65 mm spotting scopes.

I think the 8.5 swarovision is the best all around hunting bino available.

Glad to hear yall say this as I just ordered a set of 8.5x42 Swarovisions yesterday. I'm looking forward to putting them through the paces.

Spent Saturday in the heatwaves looking for antelope for my son's hunt in Unit 42 Idaho. I agree completely with what was said above. My SLC 8x30's are as clear, but they simply don't "pop" the way these do. They work better in low light clearly, but the contrast is very good.

I wish I had the 10x's to compare, but I like how easy they are to use offhand, though I will always try and have a rest.

These are great and I'm afraid I'm going to have to find out how to tell my wife. Just getting a good deal isn't enough......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom