swaro 15x56 or vortex 15x56

orion23

Very Active Member
ive been looking at the swarovski's because i know the quality is excellent, but the price is a little more than what id like to spend right now. Has anyone really compared these two? would i be dissapointed if i bought the vortex?

thanks.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

Vortex makes a good product for the price, but I would save my money and get the Swarovskis. I like the Leica better than the Swaros, and they are better at low light. You need to just look through them all and see which one you like the best. Everyones eyes are different and so we all see through binos differently.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comparing good optics to me is hard to do when shopping in a store. even when you take them outside and look at distances in the middle of the day with good light. really needs to be at dusk, which is hard to do this time of year. the stores close before then.

Travis

Don't be fooled! The Vortex are every bit as good as the SW. I have a pair of vortex 15X56 and a family member has the SLC 15x56 and if you did not know which glass you were looking through you could not tell the difference. However, go ahead and pay the difference if it makes you feel better.

The Japanese are figuring out in a hurry how to build great lenses, and it won't be long before the Europeans price themselves out of the game.

they aren't even in the same league as Swav's. Only you know what you can afford. Most people upgrade until they finally have the best. I'm not knocking Vortex they are good and will save you money, but Swarovski, Leica & Zeiss they are not.

A buddy of mine owns the vortex, i own a pair of 8x10 swaros, if you NEED a pair right away and cant save some money go with the vortex, but if you can be patient, i promise you wont be disappointed! My buddy wishes he would have just spent the extra to get a pair he can hunt with for years... Remember, you get what ya pay for.

i know the quality of the swaro's is awesome. i have the spotter and the 10x40 EL's. i just dont know how the vortex compare. reading reports you really hear both sides. i was just courious to see what you guys though that have had them both in your hands.

Travis

I set out on the Back porch of a buddy of mines sporting goods store and put them to the Pepsi challenge and the Vortex were no where near the same league as the SW's. I am still saving my pennies I would rather wait then spend a thousand just to turn around and spend another two thousand in a year or two. my .02

Jordan

I will say it until I am blue in the face, but I personally will not waste another cent on cheap optics. My brother owns a pair of Vortex and a spotting scope and they are good and great for the price, but I wont waste my money on them. I have NEVER heard anyone say I sure wished I had saved my money and not bought these Swaros or Leicas. Can everyone that has Vortex say that?

Swarovski Swarovski Swarovski.

I have the 10x42 el's, and have had the 10x50 slc's. They are the best binocular you can buy hands down.

Save the money.

I saw the other day cabelas was having a sale on all swarovski binoculars. Like 10% off.

Doug thanks for the link with interesting information. Here is my story. A number of years back I was helping my buddy with a number of other firends, on a special early rifle bull elk hunt on unit 10 for my buddy's 73 year old dad. One late afternoon a number of us were on the top of this hill glassing when we spotted a few elk, which as it turns out were more than 3 miles out. This heard included what we determine to be a shooter bull. We got word to Mark and his dad, and the rest of us were back on the hill watching the stalk, which because of Mark's dad's physical limitations, took the rest of the day.

Well, with good light, the only binos that could confirm that it was a 350+ bull were the 15x56 Swaros. We had a couple of spotting scopes, which also confirm that a shooter was in the heard. The other glass just could not show the definition to get a good sense of the rack at that distance. More importantly as the light dimmed, the other binos lost the ability to see the elk at all, while those who had Swaros were able to watch the entire show.

I am sure there are many makers of good galss, but after that experience I have been sold on Swaros.

By the way, Mark's dad took that bull, which scored 366 with 9 inches broke off the fifth point on the left side!

Jim,

Do you recall what the other binos were that "faded out" or lacked resolution?

As noted in the link, we did not test at low light. Also, with 15x binos, one is generally looking for detail at LONG range (picking out deer in the brush or judging antlers), so one would want the best resolution/brightness/contrast possible.

Redoing our test after sunset and at long range should lead to important/pertinent evaluations.

Doug~RR

What I recall is that in good light, the other than Swaro binos did not provide the same definition/contrast as the Swaros. at that distance. Yes you could tell it was a mature bull, but with the Swaros we could see the length difference between the points at that distance to feel confident it exceeded 350. In low light conditions the non Swaros faded out at that distance. They just were unable to pick out anything at that distance. The could still see things within a mile or so, but at the longer distances they could not pick up what the Swaros were seeing.

caelkhunter that is exactly my experience. For example,on a sheep hunt a band of sheep topped a mountain 3 miles away and my guide could tell nothing with his scope except that they were rams. My Swaro scope allowed us to determine there were 2 shooters and when we got a little closer to pick out the best one.

And in low-light conditions high end optics shine while every low to mid range product I have seen becomes dead weight...

Swaro, Leica and Ziess. I look through all kinds of bino's and spotters every chance I get and Swarovski and Leica have always outshined anything else with Ziess taking third. Vortex does have a GREAT warranty which makes them a good buy. fatrooster.

Personally I believe the Swarovksi to be a better product as I love my EL's and spotting scope. The vortex is a good product and comes with a unbeatable warranty.

The only way you will find what is going to work for you is to try them both out and see if the Voretex is something you will be comfortable with.

If you really want the Swarovski's over the Vortex's right now is a great time to take advantage of the aniversery sale on Swarovski's nation wide which should save you $250 on th 15x56 SLC.

Another option is to purchase demo's from camerland or to put them on a 6 month or longer lay away program thus giving you time to purachse them before the price goes even higher. Also look around for a pair used with the tough economic situation there are deals to be had.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-09 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]My guess is, very few here, other than Redrabbit, have actually had their hands on the Vortex Kaibab 15x56's to compare them directly to Swarovski and to have any idea what they're talking about. The Vortex Viper 15x50's are not in the same league, but the Kaibab's are dang good glass, and for anyone who has been unable use Swarovski 15x's because of the limited IPD, the Kaibab's are the answer.

if your hard on your gear... vortex. i have the vortex and i am glad i didn't spend way more because i hunt very aggressive and stuff gets banged around. why waste your money? save it for other stuff.

vortex aren't bad for the price depending on which model you get of course. if you are hard on your binos probably better stick with the vortex, but of course if you can afford it you can't beat the swaro's in my opinion.

haven't compared these exact 2 models side by side. so i can only comment generally on the brands.

http://www.mybinocularharness.com

I agree with what everyone else has said....and I've looked through all of them; and through some pretty fancy optometry equipment over the years. Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss are simply better and the worse the conditions, the more noticeable the differences.

I bought some Vortex equipment for my young son....they're a good price and he's happy as can be, but they are not in the same league as my Swarovski.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

>I agree with what everyone else
>has said....and I've looked through
>all of them; and through
>some pretty fancy optometry equipment
>over the years. Swarovski,
>Leica and Zeiss are simply
>better and the worse the
>conditions, the more noticeable the
>differences.
>
>I bought some Vortex equipment for
>my young son....they're a good
>price and he's happy as
>can be, but they are
>not in the same league
>as my Swarovski.
>
>
>Within the shadows, go quietly.

So you've spent some time behind the Vortex Kaibab's?

>>BMW M6 or Honda Accord?
>
>So you've spent some time behind
>the Vortex Kaibab's?

I dont need to drive the Accord to know the M6 is a superior vehicle. Will the Accord do the job? I guess it depends on what I'm expecting it to do.

If you will save your money and buy the very best you can afford then how can you be disapointed. I for one would down grade my weapon long before I would give up my optics. If you are rough on your gear then that is even more reason to buy the best (swaovski) because they will take the beating beter than anything else out there. never the less if you can only afford vortex get em and hit the hills

Swaro hands down.
My son has Vortex glasses and a scope, and I have both in Swaro's. I always let him take my scope when he is guiding and he lets me use his Vortex. They are not a horrible glass but after using my Swaro Scope for years, the is no comparison, and at low light, there isn't even any argument whatsoever...
If a guy can't afford the Swaro, or higher quality brands, get whatever you can afford, and for the money the Vortex is a good optic.
But if you just can't stand to part with a few more dollars, you are going to get exactly what you pay for.
That is my 2 cents worth!! lol

>Swaro hands down.
>My son has Vortex glasses and
>a scope, and I have
>both in Swaro's.
>I always let him take
>my scope when he is
>guiding and he lets me
>use his Vortex.
>They are not a horrible
>glass but after using my
>Swaro Scope for years, the
>is no comparison, and at
>low light, there isn't even
>any argument whatsoever...
>If a guy can't afford the
>Swaro, or higher quality brands,
>get whatever you can afford,
>and for the money the
>Vortex is a good optic.
>
>But if you just can't stand
>to part with a few
>more dollars, you are going
>to get exactly what you
>pay for.
>That is my 2 cents worth!!
> lol

FWIW, Vortex Kaibab 15x56's MSRP is $1499.99, and I'm still betting there's two people in this thread that have actually had their hands on them.

>>Swaro hands down.
>>My son has Vortex glasses and
>>a scope, and I have
>>both in Swaro's.
>>I always let him take
>>my scope when he is
>>guiding and he lets me
>>use his Vortex.
>>They are not a horrible
>>glass but after using my
>>Swaro Scope for years, the
>>is no comparison, and at
>>low light, there isn't even
>>any argument whatsoever...
>>If a guy can't afford the
>>Swaro, or higher quality brands,
>>get whatever you can afford,
>>and for the money the
>>Vortex is a good optic.
>>
>>But if you just can't stand
>>to part with a few
>>more dollars, you are going
>>to get exactly what you
>>pay for.
>>That is my 2 cents worth!!
>> lol
>
>
>FWIW, Vortex Kaibab 15x56's MSRP is
>$1499.99, and I'm still betting
>there's two people in this
>thread that have actually had
>their hands on them.

EXACTLY! So save another $300.00 and get the Swaro's! So... here's the deal with Swarovski... if you scout out a mountain with SWARO's and dont see any deer or elk... its because there arent any! Otherwise, you would have seen them... they cant hide from you with a SWARO!

I've got a pair of Kiababs and I'll go up against anybody with a alfa glass. My buddy has the Swaro's 15x56 and I out spot him 5 to 1 for desert sheep and desert mulies.

It's funny because Maddglasser can out spot me 2 to 1 with his Docter 15's.

Well first off you have to know how to glass.

It's kind like the old saying "That fancy bassboat won't catch you any more bass"

"Well first off you have to know how to glass"

That's right, and you can put 6 guys with the same optics looking at the same mountain and one of them will be able to pick out more animals than the other 5. You have to know what you are looking for and where to look.

I don't claim to be that one person, but I sure like the advantage of having as good of quality optics that I can afford to help me out. I'm just stating that if you can afford the cost of quality optics, do it...

Just to answer your question: Yes. My friend/neighbor is the local Vortex dealer (has a stand-alone gun shop). Vortex is just fine. I tried to save some money....didn't want to spend so much as to buy new Swarovski binos OR the new spotting scope. I TRIED to buy the Vortex.

They are not the same. I bought both Swarovski products; 2nd set of binos over 20 years. I also bought a Swaro spotting scope 20 years ago, but returned it because I didn't like it.

I spent months "debating" and looking (repeatedly) through everything Vortex makes....my buddy is the dealer and thought I'd be a good "advertisement" for them.

It's actually MUCH easier (for me) to get to look through Vortex (under a variety of conditions) than to look through Swarovski glass under a variety of conditions.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

This convo arises every few weeks.. its as simple as this.
You get what you pay for. I dont care who you are, Vortex is not as high quality as a pair of swaros! Dont get me wrong, i am not standing here saying there is NOTHING better, but i am saying you get what you pay for. I have buddy (muleynitro) has a pair of leica optics, and another buddy who has a pair of meopta optics that I would say are as good, if not better than swaro. You need to get what is comfortable for you, and will allow you to glass for hours and be a successful hunter. If it were me, i would save my money and look at getting a GOOD, high quality pair that you will hold onto for years.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-09 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]>This convo arises every few weeks..
>its as simple as this.
>
>You get what you pay for.
>I dont care who you
>are, Vortex is not as
>high quality as a pair
>of swaros! Dont get me
>wrong, i am not standing
>here saying there is NOTHING
>better, but i am saying
>you get what you pay
>for. I have buddy (muleynitro)
>has a pair of leica
>optics, and another buddy who
>has a pair of meopta
>optics that I would say
>are as good, if not
>better than swaro. You need
>to get what is comfortable
>for you, and will allow
>you to glass for hours
>and be a successful hunter.
>If it were me, i
>would save my money and
>look at getting a GOOD,
>high quality pair that you
>will hold onto for years.
>

So you've had your hands on the Vortex Kaibab's? Good to know, I figured it was only me and Redrabbit.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-09 AT 09:42PM (MST)[p]I LOVE the Kaibabs...They're awesome and VERY clear... I would bet that the guys that are bashing on them haven't looked through them. Nothing against them, the Kaibabs are a new product and Vortex hasn't been in the hunting industry for that long. They don't have the same reputation as the "High End" stuff. I really think that when you look through glass, you see what you want to see, if you want to feel better about dropping the cash that you do for Swaros, the Kaibabs just won't look as good. If you get the chance, look through the Kaibabs and try not to have a bias opinion. I think you'll be impressed.
My opinion is, find what you like and use it.

CSO

It's all about the good times...

The funny thing is a couple years ago I took a glassing class with Duwane Adams. One thing he said is when he is glassing and sees other guys glassing in the same area he will set up and glass them for a minute or so. And he will know by how they are glassing if he needs to worry about them. And he usually doesn't need to worry. There are not very many people out there that actually know what they are doing. I finally got my hands on a pair of the Kaibabs a couple months ago and was very impressed. I have not seen a pair in a store yet in the Phoenix area.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-09 AT 11:29PM (MST)[p] Foreman4x4 is right about the 15x50 vipers.

I've compared the Swaro's with the Kiababs. I like the Kiababs because my eye's are too narrow for the Swaros. I have a pair leica douvids that are about six years old that have slight double vision now. I sent them in and Leica told me they were beyond repair. But they would give me $250 off on a new pair. If that was the case with Vortex I'd have a brand new pair. I know that because last year I dropped a pair of Vipers and got double vision. I sent them in and two weeks later I had a brand new pair no questions ask. Since then I've purchased a pair of Kiababs. If I wanted, I could get a brand new pair every year all I have to do is drop them and send them in. I like the unlimited warranty rather than sending them over seas for 6-8 months on a limited warrany basis.

Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

Something that I didn't see brought up yet is reliability, and this is something that should not be overlooked. There are lots of good glasses out there that show well, and seem to perform as well as Swarovskis or the other top brands, but when it comes to the rigors of using them in the field over a period of many years you will be looking for a new pair much sooner, and possibly be dealing with a companies warranty department much sooner by going with the mid range stuff like Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell, etc. They are great in the beginning, but they just don't hold up.

Don't get me wrong. Those other brands are fine, and if they are all you can afford, buy them and go hunting, but when you are talking about the kind of money you are going to spend on a pair of 15x56 binos, you aren't missing a hunt over what you can afford. Save the money buy the best. I don't care what they say (and optics companies say it alot) You WILL NOT get something just as good for a fraction of the price. You get what you pay for, and what you pay for in Swarovskis is RELIABILITY.

I once heard a quote that "If you buy the best you only cry once." This is exactly the truth when it comes to optics.

I recently sold my Swaro 65mm scope and purchased the 80mm vortex skyline. they are almost apple to apple as far as clarity but that being said the swaro was 65mm and the vortex is 80mm. So to truly compare "apple to apple" I would need to look through the 80mm swaro which I am pretty sure it would be supperior to the vortex. I did this so I could still have a nice scope and with the price difference I was able to purchase a '09 Dream season.

I have not looked at the Vortex, but one thing for sure with the 15x swaro's is if your eye's are close together it may not work out for you. mine are pinched as close as can be and are right on for me. i have a buddy that needs them closer.

What is the price difference? anyone know?

Travis

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-09 AT 11:29AM (MST)[p]>Something that I didn't see brought
>up yet is reliability, and
>this is something that should
>not be overlooked. There
>are lots of good glasses
>out there that show well,
>and seem to perform as
>well as Swarovskis or the
>other top brands, but when
>it comes to the rigors
>of using them in the
>field over a period of
>many years you will be
>looking for a new pair
>much sooner, and possibly be
>dealing with a companies warranty
>department much sooner by going
>with the mid range stuff
>like Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell, etc.
> They are great in
>the beginning, but they just
>don't hold up.
>
>Don't get me wrong. Those
>other brands are fine, and
>if they are all you
>can afford, buy them and
>go hunting, but when you
>are talking about the kind
>of money you are going
>to spend on a pair
>of 15x56 binos, you aren't
>missing a hunt over what
>you can afford. Save
>the money buy the best.
> I don't care what
>they say (and optics companies
>say it alot) You WILL
>NOT get something just as
>good for a fraction of
>the price. You get
>what you pay for, and
>what you pay for in
>Swarovskis is RELIABILITY.
>
>I once heard a quote that
>"If you buy the best
>you only cry once."
>This is exactly the truth
>when it comes to optics.
>

Ever laid your hands on a Nikon Premier/LX/LXL or EDG? How about a Bushnell/B&L Elite? Vortex Kaibab 15x56?....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom