Swaro 10x32 el vs. 10x42 el

C

crookedarrow

I am going on a backpacking high country archery muley hunt in 4 weeks and upgrading my optics. The 10x32's are a little lighter and the question is are you compromising quality with or light gathering ability with the 32's vs. the 42's? My gut is the 32's will perform just as well and be 6 or 7 ozs lighter, but I'm interested in other opinions.

I have 10x42's and my dad has 10x32's so I have been able to compare side by siden in all conditions. I wish I had it to do over as I would get the 32's. I can't tell any difference except of course the lighter weight!

Does anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

I've got the 42's and love 'em, but I am considering adding a 32 for the high country hunt due to portability, especially when my girl tags along. I think they'd be great for her.

Will I be able to tell much difference early and late?

Thanks

There is no doubt that those dark minutes at the beginning and end of the day will bring out the differences. If you normally glass from dark to light and light to dark then the larger ones will probably be worth the weight. I believe there is about 6 oz difference between them so you need to decide if shucking that much weight and the bulk of the bigger ones is worth any other trade off.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-11 AT 04:45PM (MST)[p]+1 on MMWB said, thats really where the 42 versus 32 really shines. 4.2 MM versus 3.2 MM exit pupil. Crooked Arrow Check your PM also.

I went with the 10x32's last year and have to say they work great. Didn't have the 42's to compare at last light, but found them very bright and was glassing probably past shooting light and still watching deer. Love the compact light weight nature of the bino and think the 6 oz does make a difference when you are wearing them and hiking for over a week at 12-13k feet and carrying other gear.

IDK I find it hard to believe that you can really tell a difference between 6 oz. If you need to drop 6 oz go take a leak before you start hiking honestly.

You can absolutely tell the difference of 6 oz and on a back country hunt cutting ounces on everything is critical. I have the EL 32's and love them, looked hard at the 42's, but glad I went the lighter route. 6 oz is like a ton when figuring your gear for a DIY back country hunt!

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

I picked up a 8x32 to diversify & so my girl would have a small, lightweight set to use in the high country.
I love my 10x42 but the 8x32 is a good bit smaller & you can certainly feel the difference in the weight hangin' on your chest.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-11 AT 11:13AM (MST)[p]>You can absolutely tell the difference
>of 6 oz and on
>a back country hunt cutting
>ounces on everything is critical.
> I have the EL
>32's and love them, looked
>hard at the 42's, but
>glad I went the lighter
>route. 6 oz is
>like a ton when figuring
>your gear for a DIY
>back country hunt!
>
>
>"My only regret in life is
>setting my goals too low"
>

I bet if I walked up behind you going down the trail and dropped 6 oz in your backpack pocket you wouldn't know it until you found it in there guranteed.

I use the 10x32's for back country bow hunting and would not trade for 42's. The 32 size makes a big difference on your chest in terms of space. You do give up a few minutes at the begining of the day and end but for a bowhunter, I don't think it is critical. No doubt that 42's could make a difference if you have a rifle with a quality scope but I do not see a big difference other than possibly judging trophy potential at the end of the day putting a large buck to bed.

I just spent 12 days in the high country chasin' elk with a muzzleloader, and I had my 10's & my 8's along. My girl toted the 8's 90% of the time, but the couple of hikes I made with them sold me on their superior portability, and the darn things are awesome to glass through. Sure, if I'm already sittin' on the mountain top, or seriously need the extra 2 power magnification and early & late performance, I'll choose the 10 x 42's. Otherwise, if I have to climb with a fairly loaded pack I will grab the 8 x 32's without hesitation.

Love my 10 x 42's, but love the more packable 8 x 32's as well.

BIG differece in twilight and FOV performance between the 32 and 42, little difference between 42 and 50. The 32mm will strain your eyes much faster than 42's, even when using premium optics...

I have owned and used the 10 by 32?s hard for the last several years.
I prefer them to the 10-42s. I have glassed side by side with the 42?s as that's what Everybody else I guide with carry. I lose about 1 minute in the morning and the same at night to the 42?s Passing them back and forth, looking at the same elk.
No eye strain problems.
I like the size and weight of the 32?s.
90% of the game we take has been looked at with 15 by 56?s and Saworo scopes Before we ever head over to them so the 32?s are plenty for the in range details. The biggest problem
I have is making myself leave the 15?s, the tripod and the damn scope in the truck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom