Sw Gillette Deer

Whiterock

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-12 AT 05:20AM (MST)[p]How are the deer numbers SW of Gillette? I do not have a tag this year but plan on going there next year. I hunted the Pumpkin Butte area a few years ago and want to get back to the area.we took a 25 and a 26 inch bucks about 10 years ago there.Just wonder if the deer numbers are down as in other areas of Wyoming.
I will be hunting antelope in unit 23 ,and looking for a spot for deer next year.

i will be south of Gillette in a couple more weeks.Going to hunt antelope for a few days.I will also be scouting for deer for next year.if the deer population is not what I would like ,I will be scouting a couple other areas.

I've hunted Antelope about 10 miles from Pumpkin Butte twice in the past 4 years. Deer are way down from 10 years ago. The rancher that allowed us to goat hunt won't allow any deer to be killed on his property because there are so few. Sorry to be a downer. Maybe you can find a honey hole where there are some. GOOD LUCK.

From what I saw two years ago and have heard from friends and a rancher out in that area, the deer are way down all the way from the freeway over to Newcastle in Region B. I know I would not waste money on a deer license over in that area and one rancher told me I could hunt his ranch for free, but there were no deer to be seen. I'm sure there are certain pockets that probably hold some, but my guess is that it would be on private land.

Thanks for the replies. I was affraid thats what it would be like.I hunted in Region B last year and saw a total of 7 deer and no bucks.
pretty Sad .

Was this area hit with blue tongue. I seen area's that get hit by blue tongue take 4-5 years before you start seeing any amount of deer.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom