Super Cub landings

that is just south of Austin NV eel.........I have 500 hours in a supercub but I never did anything like that. Just lots of hayfields and dirt roads.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Did it one time so far, nothing like skidding accross a stream in the run way on the take off and thinking "he is going to land on that four wheeler trail" as he dips into land, where is the run way. It was a white knuckled experience.

Fortunately, we never landed on any mountain tops, but we bounced pretty good on the gravel bars we landed on. I thought it was a blast flying in a Super-Cub. Probably as close as I will ever come to feeling like a bird. Amazing little machines for sure!

I've spent a bunch of hours in them.
Those mountain drop offs are cool.
Landing on "tight" gravel bars will put the ole pucker to ya too.
Had some near tree trimming experiences as well.

Got up close & personal with this woofy.
35mm didn't really capture the clearest image, but you get the idea.

16-1.jpg

Nice photos!

After he dropped me off I watched him take off like that and I spent 4 days worrying about having to do it too when he came back for me. What if my caribou weighs too much?:)

JB, what's your favorite plane to fly?

Eel

I was in SC that landed on smooth mud flats next to glacier in between two very high and steep ridges. I thought that was adventuresome. Intentionally landing on a ridgetop is amazing. I wonder how many hours of hiking that pilot saved the hunter? Sweet!

That video amazes me every time I see it. I've been within a few hundred yards of that spot on foot. Don't think I want to try it with that guy. The wind gusts up there are a little sketchy for me.

He has bigger balls then brains, If we had landed there I would walk down. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

AWESOME video. I dream of owning a cubby someday. I had a freind land us on a straight stretch of river to fish for Steelhead. He wouldn't let me take pics as it is technically not legal.

When I asked if he had done this before, he laughed and said not on this stretch! To take off we kicked the plane out into the slow holes current and drifted backwards down stream. As soon as we hit the choppy water below us her threw the throttle on and up we went.

I am a pretty big guy, 6'2" and 250. I felt like I was wearing the plane!!

I've got some greaet memories, and some very scary ones too, flying in bush planes ranging from Cubs to Super Cubs to Citabrias, and various Cessnas.

Have had a few close calls, and three of the pilots I flew with are no longer among us after incidents of 'Pilot Error'. One bought the farm on a glacier in a Cessna 180, one crashed a Beaver into a lake and the 3rd one crashed in a canyon while delivering supplies to a sheep camp. I can remember a friend who was at the 3rd crash site telling me "He might have been able to pull out of that spin if he didn't have a bed frame and mattress tied to one wing strut, and a couiple sacks of oats tied to the other'. Such is flying in Alaska....

That guy is good.....but problem is it only takes once.

Had some bluebird day fly arounds and then my share of pucker factor flights [shame on me for watching the altimeter!]

Once,I was giving one of the guides I was flying with a hard time- he didn't like flying and was wearing all of his gear with both arms clenched around a sleeping bag on his lap- "I've crashed before" was all he had to say to make me feel like an arse and reconsider my flying wardrobe.

I do not know that pilot, but for some reason the plane is familiar, and I can't place the spot that he landed on. I live about 60 miles north of Austin.

I have been in a cub though...

Once, and I will probably do it again. That time was looking for dogs after about the 5th day of not being able to find them. Sure was a fun ride, and the story of the pilor falling out of the plane at one point sure made me wonder what in the hell I was doing up there with him in that plane, and no controls in my hand, lol.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom