Sunlight Basin

ss13

The elk deadline has come up fast on me this year. I have 1 point and looking for a place to archery hunt.

Two years ago I was deer hunting in this area in mid October. There was quite a bit of elk sign, but I did not see any elk. (Well we didn't see many deer either.) I am wondering what time of year the elk are in sunlight basin? Is it worth hunting this area early, or is sunlight a migration route for the wintering elk. I would appreciate the help.

Seems as I've heard that the area you are talking about is more of a late season hunt opportunity, but I'm not positive.

Its amazing that such good looking country does not hold good numbers of game anymore. Its a shame, that area is one of the prettiest areas I have hunted. Thanks for your input guys.

Once we get something going with the wolves and go up there it may turn around. i can remember when i was 12 hunting the late season and the side hills were just herds of elk...2 years later we saw 18 wolves and one rag horn running through there...so that should tell us something.
Give it a couple years before really considering it.
T

Fished and hunted this area a couple of times last year (2010). Wolf and bear tracks everywhere. Didn't see much game.

you nailed it. im from the area. i remember 12 years ago in the late season you would see 1000's of elk. but then the wolves came and wiped them out. now the general hunting season is gone and its limited hunting area. outfitters success rates are horrible up there now...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom