SUCCESS ON THE NEBO!!

wapitiwhistler

Well we did it. After all the hard work and the up's and downs of elk hunting I was able to punch my tag. After drawing the Archery Nebo Elk tag i quickly realized this wasn't going to be the Premium Mossback Limited Entry 400in. utah bull behind every tree hunt that I have been waiting for. In fact after hearing so much negative feedback of the unit I was ready to have a 280$ bull of soup and graciously hand the tag back to the F&G. Then I came to my senses and decided no matter what anybody told me or how negative the comments on this site were about the unit I would do what has always brought me success and I would just hunt my ASS off. It started the day I drew my tag. 4am runs and late night shooting in the backyard. I lost 40lbs and have never shot my bow better. I scouted every second i could(18 days in total) I learned a lot about the area from you guys and am very grateful for all those who were willing to share. Thanks to my dad who instiled this addiction that I have learned to hate. And its not killing big bulls or even seeing big bulls. Its the ability to communicate with theese wild creatures that has me coming back for more. My dad started packing me arround elk country 21 years ago when I was only 8. My passion for calling the wild was started. I love calling elk!!! This bull that I shot was the 8th bull we called in over twelve days. I had set my mark on the 330 table and was ready to go away empty handed. I learned on this hunt that no matter how hard I try to wear the trophy hunter hat, thats just not me. I love to scout elk and deer in the summer and fall and have become more able to judge a set of horns. But when it realy comes down to it I DONT CARE>>> When this bull finaly came out into the meadow that we had been calling in for twenty minutes all the scores and tine lengths and mass measurements went out the window. I never once looked at this bull and sized him up. I could see clearly he was a nice 6, but I could see even clearer that this was the most absolutely perfect setting for an 8 year boy to fill his tag. Cause I felt like I was 8 again. Seeing my first bull in a meadow calling for any challengers. If I ever loose that excitement for hunting I will hang it up. A thanks goes out to my Elk hunting buddies my Dad and Gobe. The bull ended up scoring 321, just icing on the cake!!!

235562876_159961990680981_100000015435548_542939_367846_n.jpg

Congratulations, that's a dandy bull! Anything taken on Nebo is well earned as I've learned this summer. I've got a Nebo muzzy tag myself...Can't wait to get after them next week!

PM Sent.

Good job. That is a tough hunt and it takes a lot of work for success on that unit. In the past, it was easier to take a nice elk off it. You should be proud, you did it right and took a true trophy...Congrats

Hey buddy,You got lucky on that one.but nice bull.I did end up arrowing one 6 pt twice one in neck and one high behind shoulder.But never seen a speck of blood and all i had to follow is tracks for a 100 yards then ran into more elk tracks runnin everywhere and just couldnt figure out where he went.That was on wedsday and searched for hours for blood just not finding any even with one complete pass through.Ive seached area numerous times for birds,bears or smell with no luck.So if ya hear anything about finding one on gentle band let me know.You definatly had the stars alighned for you to recover him like you did.But thats awesome to bring a bull like that home with a bow.Congrats on a awesome bull on a rough unit.I did end up seeing a 390 plus bull same day i hit mine.They are there just hard to see.Hey do you have any good places to goose hunt up by your place or your dads?Would love to take kid up to kill some geese.I will call you in couple days.Later Kelly Pm or call me!!!

Way to stick with it. Tough hunt but a great reward for your efforts. I know a lot of guys that would be darn glad to get that bull on the Nebo. Some of them are rifle hunters right now. They are scratching their heads wondering where a bull like that would be.

It's always an adventure!!!

Congrats on a great bull and the joy of sharing the hunt with your dad! That's what it's all about for me. I love to hunt my butt off and spend time in the wild with my Pops. My dad is going to try to make the trip with me but he's hitting 70 this year and a little hesitant about the terrain. I drew the NR Nebo Muzzy tag for this year 2020 and would love any insight on good places to camp, road conditions, fire damage, water availability for spike camping,
places to avoid or drainages to scout. I am doing my scouting remotely from the MS Gulf Coast and will gladly return the favor if possible. I'm a flatlander living at 36 ft above sea level but I've been fortunate enough to have chased elk in MT, WY, CO and NM and have had shot opportunities every trip. I'll help you out if I can. I've been pouring over the Utah fiah and game maps, onx, and the Nat. Geo. Wasatch South Front map trying to develop a plan. I'm going to try and get there labor day week to spend some time acclimating and scouting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom