Stuck Brass

3x2

Hi All, I have a REM 700 300 Win Mag (Circa 2003-04) that I have been testing factory ammo in. I have had multiple manufacturers ammo have extremely tight or failed extraction similar to what you might feel in a hot load. It doesn’t seem to have any chambering or extraction issues on unfired rounds. Any thoughts or ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks

When you say failed extraction- do you mean the bolt comes back leaving the case in the chamber?
At first it wouldn’t come back at all but after some lite tapping the bolt came back and the brass was still stuck. I was able to back the brass out pretty easily with a cleaning rod once I got home.

Might be headspace issue. Swelling after you shoot. Could also be a weak or defective extracter. Many factors could be at play
I was thinking about this a little more and up until now I had only run Remington ammo through it that was manufactured around the same time. One of the two rounds that cycled fine was new Vortex (owned by Rem). Is it likely that factory ammo is that far to one side of spec? Brands that I had trouble with were Winchester, Federal, and old (pre Rem) Vortex. Hornaday seems to work well but didn’t shoot well.

I would do two things. First clean chamber and check for tool marks in the chamber that may cause extraction problems. If chamber appears to be ok. Take to gunsmith and have him use his headspace gauges to check for proper headspace.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom