Strutting Grouse

2lumpy

Long Time Member
I’ve enjoyed watching the Sage Grouse strut here in So. Central Utah, for the last dozen years.

I have developed a pretty strong itch to go spend a day or two watching Praire Chicken do there strutting activities and apparently it is very near primetime. Also, if the opportunity presents itself, either coming or going, I’d like to try and find a lek of Sharptail to observe as well.

In as much as Sage Grouse are extremely reliable as to their time and location for mating I am assuming the Sharptail and Praire Chickens are as well.

I’ve also got a bad case of cabin fever right now and I’m anxious to get out and see some country, so driving a 500-700 miles or so isn’t entirely out of the question. Closer would be better but my limited research would indicate I’m may need to travel that far.

If anyone knows of a specific lek location, for either of these two grouse and would be willing to share the location, I would be ever so grateful.

If anyone is interested in watching 50-60 Sage Grouse strutting, I would be more than happy to offer the same courtesy...... I fact I’d be happy to take you to one of two lek locations, a hour from my home in Glenwood, Utah.

Please PM me if would rather speak to me directly, so I can share a phone number.

Thank you.
DC

0F7BCA28-9E5E-40AD-BEA5-B4C19A805435.jpeg

F25F53ED-79C3-47C4-8427-F84BF7EF244F.jpeg

7AD7728F-F5BD-4217-BFB5-41EE9CA5DBA0.jpeg

6DB39A2F-1D2C-4ACD-91B4-40EBFA500A6D.jpeg

I love watching the Grouse. You can hear the Grouse behind the cabin thumping. They are great to eat unlike water fowl. ?? Did you take those pictures 2Lumpy ?

No, I exercised the MM copyright liberties. I’m a lousy photographer, but I still like to try.

Old and still grumpy DW but I’m still trying to entertain myself and my general health is good. Thanks. I still enjoy check the insights from the broad spectrum here, albeit it from a greater distance now days.

go to Mt city, Nv then head north to Grasmere, Id......turn east just north of Grasmere on any dirt road and drive out on those round tops......and park and watch

umf....I didn't read far enough....I was heading you to more sage chickens.....

Hey lumpy, I sometimes see Blue Grouse here in Montana strutting their stuff. I'll try to take pics or video if I can figure out my phone. mtmuley

Thanks mt. I would really enjoy that.

Strutting grouse are an outdoor treasure. Lots of amazing things go on between the wild ones, strutting grouse surely are a part of those fascinating critters.

Had a strutting blue grouse in front of of me while antler hunting when I was younger thing would not leave me alone. Stayed out in front of me for about 50 yrds walking on a flat I thought it was retarded.

That cool. Shed hunting was how I found the first lek of Sage Grouse. I chased that sound for two hours trying to figure out what in the world that noise was.

I was blacktail deer hunting one day and I heard a rifle shot down below me. A few minutes later I heard another shot that sounded closer. Then a third shot even closer. I got behind a tree expecting a buck to come by any minute. Then this Ruffed Grouse came walking up the hill about 50 yards from me. Behind the grouse was an old man huffing and puffing. He stopped and took another shot at the grouse and missed and the grouse kept walking up the hill away from him. Finally the old man saw me and turned around and left.

They are great pics, I can’t take credit for them however. I have a lot of Sage Grouse pics but never seen or photographed Sharptail or Praire Chicken....... sure would like to though.

I’ve read about locations near Wray Colorado and North Platte Nebraska....where they can be observed......... I was hoping maybe some of the MM folks could recommend a closer lek but so far it looks like it’s going be about a 700 mile drive to get to them.

Still hoping for a message from someone that’s got a bunch circled up that are a little close.

I’ve enjoyed watching the Sage Grouse strut here in So. Central Utah, for the last dozen years.

I have developed a pretty strong itch to go spend a day or two watching Praire Chicken do there strutting activities and apparently it is very near primetime. Also, if the opportunity presents itself, either coming or going, I’d like to try and find a lek of Sharptail to observe as well.

In as much as Sage Grouse are extremely reliable as to their time and location for mating I am assuming the Sharptail and Praire Chickens are as well.

I’ve also got a bad case of cabin fever right now and I’m anxious to get out and see some country, so driving a 500-700 miles or so isn’t entirely out of the question. Closer would be better but my limited research would indicate I’m may need to travel that far.

If anyone knows of a specific lek location, for either of these two grouse and would be willing to share the location, I would be ever so grateful.

If anyone is interested in watching 50-60 Sage Grouse strutting, I would be more than happy to offer the same courtesy...... I fact I’d be happy to take you to one of two lek locations, a hour from my home in Glenwood, Utah.

Please PM me if would rather speak to me directly, so I can share a phone number.

Thank you.
DC

View attachment 35098

View attachment 35099

View attachment 35100

View attachment 35101
Hey Lumpy good to hear from you again. Believe it or not there are a fair number of them in the Rubies in Nevada. Most of them you can see from the road but there are roads all over there.
I have about 200 Turkeys in the neighborhood right now struttin all over. Have to slow down to get to my house in the afternoon.
It's that time of the year.....

Thanks DH53, are the grouse in the Rubies Sage Grouse, SharpTail or Praire Chickens? Nevada is a lot closer than Eastern Colorado or Nebraska but if they are only Sage Grouse, I’ve got a lot of those I can watch right here, close to home.

Wildlife in the neighborhood, whatever species it is, upgrades the quality of life. (Skunks and snakes....... maybe not some much.)

Lumpy have you seen the incredible birds of paradise films out there? there is a good one on netflix. their looks and mating dances are amazing.

Lumpy have you seen the incredible birds of paradise films out there? there is a good one on netflix. their looks and mating dances are amazing.
I haven’t, but I’ve seen other films and I agree, they are amazing.... so much so that I’m determined to go watch some, up close and personal.

Elk bugling, deer doing combat, upland birds strutting, bison crashing, fish spawning, the colors of migratory birds during the spring mating season..... even the behavior of mating praying mantis and countless other species are worth doing whatever it takes to find and observe.

For me, the smells, sights, sounds, colors, and behaviors of the outdoors keeps me on the move. It’s a sickness I think.

Thanks everyone, for sharing your pics and encounters. Much appreciated.

Thanks DH53, are the grouse in the Rubies Sage Grouse, SharpTail or Praire Chickens? Nevada is a lot closer than Eastern Colorado or Nebraska but if they are only Sage Grouse, I’ve got a lot of those I can watch right here, close to home.

Wildlife in the neighborhood, whatever species it is, upgrades the quality of life. (Skunks and snakes....... maybe not some much.)
Lumpy I think they are real Prairie chickens I was hunting in 102 and driving on the east side of the hills going in and we saw them right off the road during hunting season. Only residents can hunt them so my buddy who lives there shot one and gave it to us to eat. It was good eating so I am guessing it wasn't sage grouse.
Check with the F&G they also have the partridge in the hills there I can't remember it's name it was supposedly planted way back by the pioneers

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom