Strawberry-Very sad

predator

Very Active Member
Spent a week in the snow at the Berry, and I must say that the drought has a far more reaching effect that I considered-the smaller spawning streams are not carrying enough water to allow the cutts up them, nor is the lake high enough to get them into some of the deeper water. We watched some absolutely beautiful cutthroat doing their damndest to get up a trickle, then spawn in the muddy backwater, then watched the eggs get buried by wave action. It's really sad to think that not one of those eggs will survive.

I usually really enjoy watching the renewal of one of our best natural hatcheries, but this time I left disheartened. I hope that they are doing better in the larger streams!

BTW, the fishing was pretty darn good for nice fat rainbows and the occasional lunker (broke off 8-lb leader several times).

Paul, it's east of SLC about 60 miles or so. It's one of our best and last natural cutthroat hatcheries. It also has rainbows and kokanee salmon. It's a gem, but the spawning thing was just so sad.

Thanks. Dang, we've had two years of drought out here, but the rivers are still running fairly high and the lakes are full. The lakes don't get low until August. Utah must be dry as a bone this year. Pray for lots of rain/snow next year!!! PC

Pred, I drove by a lake on I-80 one time and it was east of SLC. It was right next to the interstate. I remember two things: It was beautiful and there were dead porcupines everywhere along the interstate. Don't remember the name. Is that the one? PC

P.C. that was probably Echo Reservoir, if you are talking I-80 to Wyoming. Strawberry is on US-40, on the way to Denver, and it's much much more beautiful than Echo. Lots of big ole' elk around, too...you'd love it, I'm sure!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom