Stoney May Have a Point

W

Wildman

I would like to try to add some insight to the underlying debate highlighted in stoney's "Hunters Beware" post. The Hunters Beware thread- like most political topics- really dances around the core issues driving the debate.

On one side you have stoney saying the "green" movement has infiltrated the hunting community, and on the other side you have other hunters claiming stoney is out of touch with science based reality.

Unfortunately, as is usually the case with these things, you have two sides which both have an element of truth claiming they are the ultimate authority on the subject.

Although stoney doesn't apparently have a PhD in the Wildlife Sciences, he has touched on a very real issue. The issue is the difference in ideology between traditional hunters and the ideology put forth through the modern day ecological sciences.

Essentially, stoney comes from a more traditional perspective where hunting and wildlife are prioritized above other resources. The ecological sciences crowd come from a more water/soil/vegetation perspective where wildlife is only a benefit if it moves their water/soil/vegetation ideology in the direction they want. This difference in ideology can put so-called "sportsmen/women" on different sides of the argument.

Traditional hunters come from the perspective that as long as large wildlife numbers can be maintained all is well. The water/soil/vegetation crowd only find value in wildlife if the wildlife don't compete against the water/soil/vegetation ideology. Thus, the water/soil/vegetation crowd is actually willing to diminish wildlife numbers if they view it to be a benefit to the water/soil/vegetation.

The problem is political interests use both of these ideologies to push their political agendas using well meaning sportsmen/women from both sides of the argument.

In the "science based" community it is pretty well accepted that traditional hunters are "selfish and ignorant about the realities of ecology", and although there may be some truth to this argument, it is only rivaled by the arrogance and sloppiness of the scientific community.

Here are a couple of links I have posted on these issues in the past:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...800&forum=DCForumID5&archive=yes#.UyND-4XYiSo

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...104&forum=DCForumID5&archive=yes#.UyNC5IXYiSo

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...427&forum=DCForumID6&archive=yes#.UyNErIXYiSo

Although stoney may not be a PhD, he may actually be smarter in some ways than those who buy the "science" argument hook, line and sinker without questioning anything simply because it's "science".

My two cents. Fire away!!!

Hmmm... Thought provoking.

I think the classifications are still to narrow.
I consider myself a left leaning moderate,
I'd rather have open meadows than well heads
And definitely prefer dirt to pavement, but I'm not extreme
In either direction.

Can't I just be a hunter without wearing some sort
Of BS label??

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Sage is 100% correct. It's a broad term.
As someone classified as hunter it's probably
The sub classes that we dwell on.
Trophy hunter
Opportunist
Bowhunter
Muzz hunter
Rifle hunter
And so on, either way they bring division.

Arguments can be made to support all subclasses.

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Some of the hunters I know have some different names
Idiot
##### for brains
DD Dumber then Dog #####
And their are a lot more names then that, "Hunter beware" thread and see if I'm not right. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

^Oh come on, get over yourself Buzz...just give it a rest for once

From my perspective, you don't seem much interested in using your insight and experience for constructive purposes on here...unless of course its providing TOPGUN yet another coat-tail to ride on :)

Anyway, thanks for your consideration

Cheers'

Adam

gratewsntr,

Always then tuff to know if yer a ####idiot
or knot.

Mybe yu speek gtr...

as secund lnguich LOL!

Heh, well Good Morning Buzz...say, how's the headache? Or are ya still drunk?

Anyway, nicely executed illustration of my assertion; and so timely as well! You've actually managed to outdo yourself

So again, thank you for your consideration...I rest my case :)

Cheers'

Adam

Thanks Buzz for proving my point.
Some just can't help their self.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Wildman: It's funny that you separate wildlife from soil, water, vegetation. They are completely interrelated in every ecosystem on this planet. With no vegetation there is no food for wildlife; with degraded soils, there is no vegetation; with no water, there is no life. People (like me) who focus on soil, water, and vegetation are looking for an end result that increases wildlife populations. Some of the biggest hunters on this planet that I've ever met are the dudes working in the ?science based community.?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom