Stone sheep in AK???

O

Oregonbowhunter

Can Stone sheep be found in Alaska? I found some info that said there were some Fannins in Alaska but nothing about Stones. Does Alaska allow one to take a fannin or just a dall, what about stones if they can be found?

>Can Stone sheep be found in
>Alaska? I found some info
>that said there were some
>Fannins in Alaska but nothing
>about Stones. Does Alaska
>allow one to take a
>fannin or just a dall,
>what about stones if they
>can be found?

I think the first question would be...what is considered a Stone Sheep?
I have been guiding sheep hunts in the north since 1980 and have taken several rams in the Mackenzie Mountins NWT with clients that have had a few black hairs in the tail and from what I hear some were classed as Stone Sheep?????
My personal opinion..no , Alaska does not have Stone Sheep, some very likely have afew black hairs but they are Dall Sheep.

This photo was taken a little less than a hundred miles from the Canadian Border in Alaska by a well eastablished taxidermist.
Looks like it has a few black hairs.
Call it a Dall all you want, I'love to tag it with a Dall tag, though F&G might put the waterboard to you.

ram.jpg

Sure looks like a Stone Ram did a little wondering!

I hunted Dall Sheep in 2007 in an area right next to the BC Canadian border and we not see anything but the white version of Dalls. I sure would have loved to have seen the "Dall" in your picture however!

In one of the 2007 issues of Grand Slam there was a photo of a Brooks Range ewe. This ewe was as dark as any Stone's ewe. Dark colored sheep are showing up in many of the "traditional" Dall ranges. I think we cam blame it on global warming :) (just kidding).

Well, let's hope any expansion of Stone's range into the Brooks or anywhere else continues. Perhaps it'll lessen the cost of hunting Stone Sheep, or at least slow the rise in prices :D

>This photo was taken a little
>less than a hundred miles
>from the Canadian Border in
>Alaska by a well eastablished
>taxidermist.
>Looks like it has a few
>black hairs.
>Call it a Dall all you
>want, I'love to tag it
>with a Dall tag, though
>F&G might put the waterboard
>to you.
>
>
ram.jpg

I saw this same photo awhile back and it said the photo was taken on the Demster Hwy. in the Yukon by a taxidermist from Whitehorse.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom