Steve McNair - sad story

Roy

Sad day for football. McNair was one of my favorites. Looks to be a murder-suicide. She shot him then turned the gun on herself. Sad deal all around. My prayers go out to his family.

Ex-NFL QB McNair found shot to death in condo

Associated Press

Updated: July 4, 2009, 11:59 PM EDT
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Former NFL quarterback Steve McNair, whose most noted drive was the final one of the 2000 Super Bowl, was found dead with multiple gunshots wounds, including to the head, Saturday afternoon in a downtown condominium. Police said a pistol was discovered near the body of a woman also shot dead.

Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron identified the woman as 20-year-old Sahel Kazemi, whom he called a "friend" of McNair's. She had a single gunshot wound to the head.

Police said the 36-year-old McNair was found on the sofa in the living room, and Kazemi was very close to him on the floor. Aaron said the gun was not "readily apparent" when police first arrived.

Autopsies were planned for Sunday.

Aaron said McNair's wife, Mechelle, is "very distraught."

"At this juncture, we do not believe she is involved," he said. "Nothing has been ruled out, but as far as actively looking for a suspect tonight, the answer would be no."

Fred McNair, Steve McNair's oldest brother, said some family members likely will travel to Nashville on Monday to consult with Steve McNair's wife.

"It's still kind of hard to believe," Fred McNair said. "He was the greatest person in the world. He gave back to the community. He loved kids and he wanted to be a role model to kids."

He said he did not know who Kazemi was.

The bodies were discovered Saturday afternoon by McNair's longtime friend Wayne Neeley, who said he rents the condo with McNair.

Aaron said Neeley told authorities he went into the condo, saw McNair on the sofa and Kazemi on the floor but walked first into the kitchen before going back into the living room, where he saw the blood.

Neeley then called a friend, who alerted authorities.

STEVE MCNAIR (1973-2009) News: Follow the developing story behind the shocking death of popular former Titans and Ravens QB Steve McNair. More ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video: 'Tough' doesn't begin to describe slain former QB Steve McNair, says NFL on FOX's Jay Glazer, recalling one of his 'Superman' feats. More ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos: Former 13-year NFL QB Steve McNair leaves an enduring legacy built on grit, toughness and winning. Here's a look back at his career. More ...
Police said a witness saw McNair arrive at the condo in the upscale Rutledge Hill neighborhood between 1:30 and 2 a.m. Saturday and that Kazemi's vehicle was already there. The condominium is located within walking distance of an area filled with restaurants and nightspots, a few blocks from the Cumberland River and within view of the Titans' stadium.

Two days ago, Nashville police arrested Kazemi on a DUI charge while driving a 2007 Escalade registered to her and McNair. McNair was in the front seat, but didn't break the law and was allowed to leave by taxi.

The arrest affidavit said Kazemi had bloodshot eyes and the smell of alcohol on her breath, but refused a breathalyzer test, saying "she was not drunk, she was high."

In June, McNair opened a restaurant near the Tennessee State University campus. It was closed Saturday evening, but had become a small memorial, where flowers, candles and notes had been placed outside the door.

On the restaurant's windows were messages: "We will miss you Steve" and "We love you Steve."

A note attached to a small blue teddy bear read, "We will never forget you, Steve. Once a Titan, always a Titan."

"We don't know the details, but it is a terrible tragedy and our hearts go out to the families involved," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

McNair, a four-time Pro Bowler, led the Titans within a yard of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl, which they lost 23-16 to the St. Louis Rams. He also played for the Baltimore Ravens before retiring in April 2008.

His most noted drive, the last one in that Super Bowl, came when he led the Titans 87 yards in the final minute and 48 seconds, only to come up a yard short of the tying touchdown. Kevin Dyson caught his 9-yard pass, but was tackled at the 1-yard line by the Rams' Mike Jones.

Steve McNair played 13 NFL seasons. (Chris McGrath / Getty Images)

McNair accounted for all of Tennessee's yards in that drive, throwing for 48 yards and rushing for 14. The rest of the yardage came on penalties against the Rams. Before that, he brought the Titans back from a 16-0 deficit to tie the game.

"If you were going to draw a football player, the physical part, the mental part, everything about being a professional, he is your guy," former Ravens and Titans teammate Samari Rolle said. "I can't even wrap my arms around it. It is a sad, sad day. The world lost a great man today."

McNair became a nationally known college football star playing for Alcorn State, a Division I-AA school in his home state. His performance in the Southwestern Athletic Conference was so dominant, he became a Heisman Trophy contender and national media flocked to the school in Lorman, Miss., to get look at "Air McNair." He still holds the Division I-AA (now known as Football Championship Subdivision) records for career yards passing (14,496) and total offense (16,823).

McNair began his NFL career in 1995 with the Houston Oilers, who eventually became the Titans, and finished with 31,304 yards passing and 174 touchdowns. McNair played with pain for several years, and the injuries ultimately forced him to retire.

"On the field, there isn't player that was as tough as him, especially at the quarterback position," the Ravens' Derrick Mason said. "What I have seen him play through on the field, and what he dealt with during the week to get ready for a game, I have never known a better teammate."

During a five-game stretch at the end of the 2002 season, McNair was so bruised he couldn't practice. But he started all five games and won them, leading the Titans to an 11-5 finish and a berth in the AFC championship game for the second time in four seasons.

McNair played all 16 games in 2006, his first season in Baltimore, and guided the Ravens to a 13-3 record. But he injured his groin during the season opener last season and never regained the form that put him in those Pro Bowls.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of today's tragic news regarding the death of Steve McNair. He was a player who I admired a great deal," said New England Patriots senior football adviser Floyd Reese, who was GM of the Titans when McNair played for them. "He was a tremendous leader and an absolute warrior. He felt like it was his responsibility to lead by working hard every day, no matter what."

Titans coach Jeff Fisher was out of the country, taking part in the first NFL-USO coaches tour to Iraq.

Ozzie Newsome, Ravens executive vice president and general manager, said he immediately thought of McNair's four sons.

"This is so, so sad. We immediately think of his family, his boys. They are all in our thoughts and prayers," he said "What we admired most about Steve when we played against him was his competitive spirit, and we were lucky enough to have that with us for two years. He is one of the best players in the NFL over the last 20 years."

No funeral arrangements have been made.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

......wonder if he was thinking of his boys when he was banging that skitzo 20 year old ???

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Why would he be thinking of his boys? I'm not sure it would matter if he was banging a 20 year old or a 40 year old. What matters is their frame of mind....this 20 year old must've been a little off! Senseless....

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 02:01AM (MST)[p]What's wrong with these people. I don't care who you are, if you're doing the wrong thing it will eventually catch up to you. If he had been home with his wife and kids it wouldn't have happened. She would have shot some other cheating scumbag. When will people learn. Oh but wait, somebody will inevitably vote him into the hall of fame or give him some honor at the Espy's. Makes me sick. If you ask me, he was looking for trouble. How goes that Buckwheat song..."wookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces".

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

"It's still kind of hard to believe," Fred McNair said. "He was the greatest person in the world. He gave back to the community. He loved kids and he wanted to be a role model to kids."

Well I guess he was not trying hard enough on the role model part of things. When I read that he had a girlfriend that was 20 I thought wow. Then I read on to find out he had a wife!!!! Give a dirt ball a-lot of money and what do you get??? A dirt ball with lots of money.

I would agree this is sad. Sad for his family.

D13er, I don't usually agree with much of what you say but I got your back on this one!!!!!!!!

If you're done with the ole lady, move on the right way!!!!!!!

Plus 20 years old??????? Legal but not ethical!!!!!!!!

See....ESPN is doing the poor McNair story as I type this. They talk all about his achievements but not once mentioned that the girl found dead with him was his girlfriend that he had been cheating on his wife with. Society is not our friend when it comes to this kind of stuff. It's way too accepted.

www.awholelottabull.com

"20-year-old Sahel Kazemi,"

It sounds like it could have been worse. She could have strapped on a bomb, taken him to the mall, and blew the whole place up?:)

Eel

Some of you guys hit the nail on the head. AWB - totally agree. That is what makes it so sad. It was not only the fact that he died way to young but because of the shady circumstances under which it happened. It was a senseless tragedy that didn't need to happen and though I am waiting for more info before I draw my own conclusions, if he had been home with his family, it wouldn't have happened. It least it appears to be so - I guess it is easy for us to sit back and judge sometimes, anxious to see what other information they tell us.

UTROY

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]Roy I would agree on what you said. However this guy made a living playing football. Like him or not he put himself in a bad situation. That being said if this was the guy next door he would be looked upon as a low down dirt bag who got what he had coming.
Well since he plays in the spotlight it is a tragedy,,, yes for his family.

What led up to this? Wait and see.

Look at baseball and all the drug/cheating problems there. You have guys who have lied about performance enhancing drugs. What is their punishment??? Well maybe we won't let them in the Hall Of Fame. No how about send their sorry a to prison.

This kind of thing really gets old. If your a pro athlete you should still be held to the same standards as a normal working Joe who works his butt off to provide for his family.

I guess my point is this.

Just because your in the spotlight does not mean you are exempt.

To many rich overpaid athlets who think they are above the working class.

Listen to sports radio and tune into ESPN and this guy is a hero.

No he is a cheater who got somthing he was not expecting

OK I am done now. Oh did I mention I love the college game.

Man, this is the reason I rarely post on here anymore. A bunch of hipocritical people who are waiting to pounce on a situation. You don't know he was cheating on his wife, first off. Second, so what if he was?? That's his personal choice. Did it harm you in any way for him to do that? Hell no. The way you guys are saying it, he deserved to get killed because he may have been cheating on his wife. You don't know his story, SO DO NOT ACT LIKE YOU DO. You live your life full of imperfections and judge others' on theres'. Worry about your life, not what someone else is doing, unless it is harming you or someone else. He wasn't harming anyone and did not deserve to get shot. Like I said, you just ASSUME he was cheating on his wife, you don't KNOW. That is why people stop visiting these sights, a bunch of hypocrits.

Mossback, I tend to agree with Rugarms take on this but, OK, say you're correct in that we don't yet know the whole story so we shouldn't have or base our opinions on what we do know. Does that mean we have to go along with the media and worship the guy? The news is feeding us the "oh, what a great person, family man he is."

I don't buy it, i personally don't even care one way or another but found your rant or stand here against some of MM's members here interesting.

Joey

what your opinion is the only one that counts? you rarely post? big deal,,,, you have a right to your opinion as do the rest of us,,, although we didnt slam on you,,, maybe you need to take a peek in the ol mirror,,,, the fact is these people are held up in society by the media because they are so called celebritys,,, the fact of the matter is they are just people like the rest of us ,,,, no more special no less ,,,, of course he didnt deserve to be killed , of course we dont know what did or didnt happen ,,,, guess what cupcake neither do you,,,, it sure is starting to look like if the married man was'nt doinking the 20 year old he wouldnt be dead,,,,,

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 06:13PM (MST)[p]mossback interesting take. However I think you are missing my point. Good luck to you on your hunting this year.

moss i agree with you on this i posted something similar got nuked big suprise. I want a website made that you can say whatever you like without moderaters. I dont agree with what your saying tough. I dont agree with a paticular crew i can still say whats on my mind about it without getting nuked

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

Hey there Moss, you have a good point and maybe you're right we shouldn't speculate but you have to admit it's pretty fishy. I'm not a smart man but lets see, she got a DUI the week before driving a car registered in his and her names with him in the pasenger seat with her (he had to take a cab HOME!) They found him dead in her apartment leased by him in an upscale neighborhood next to nightclubs and within eyeshot of the stadium. His wife had no idea who this chick was. You tell me, does that smell like a cheating SOB to you? It sure does to me. Also, ESPN is playing this thing like he died on the steps of the Hall of Fame. It's pretty obvious they are trying to bury his social mistakes with all of his athletic achievements. I personally am tired of seeing these professional athletes take advantage of their social standing to get away with this kind of crap. Fans are literally upset that Manny won't be eligable for Cooperstown becuase he failed a couple of drug tests and was suspended. I say screw cooperstown buddy, you should be damn glad you're still getting that tiny paycheck. Most people get fired from their jobs for failing spontaneous drug tests. Ok enough rant. I'm washing my hand of this post. It's already gotten way more publicity than it deserves.

www.awholelottabull.com

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]First of all - there is no "crew". If you got nuked it was because you posted something that was innapropriate or against the forum rules. Read them and avoid removal of future posts. I have over 3000 posts on these forums and yes I have been nuked a few times, every time I basically knew it was coming because I said something against the rules, and yes at one time or another I have ruffled the feathers of just about every mod on here, and most of the other members.

Second - .50cal - I see your point, but you are going over the line here too, reacting to one thing you read in one post and not reading all the posts in between. More than anything, we are criticizing the media coverage of this whole sad situation. Yes it was his personal choice and if he weren't a celebrity and an athlete that some of our kids might look up to as a role model (whether we want them to or not, whether we provide a better role model for them or not - the fact is they will follow who they choose!) we wouldn't even be hearing about it and we wouldn't have anything to say. But the media has propped him up as a saint and have ignored the other factors in the case that have contributed to his death. Bad choices and poor judgement lead to horrible consequences and ESPN and other media outlets are ignoring those choices and bad judgement in favor of glorifying his persona in light of the horrible consequences. That is where the hypocrisy lies here.

Third - we ain't stupid. Where there's smoke - there's fire. A 36 yr old married man found dead and alone with a 20 yr old "friend" in a rented condo in different city from where his wife and sons live 99.9% of the time spells cheating. And guess what as it turns out, he was, according to published police reports. And yes, that sucks, it is very disappointing and though I don't agree that he got what he deserved, he certainly did reap what he had sowed. That is what makes it sad, the loss of potential that we really see here and the fact that the mainstream media is not making that the story makes me a little sick.

There is never any need for apologizing about telling the truth, however brutal that may be.

Here is the article:

Police rule McNair shooting death a homicide

Associated Press

Updated: July 5, 2009, 4:34 PM EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Former NFL quarterback Steve McNair's shooting death was a homicide, police said Sunday, but authorities stopped short of saying it was a murder-suicide committed by the 20-year-old girlfriend found dead by his side.

McNair, 36, was shot four times, twice in the head, by a semiautomatic pistol, Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron said. The woman, Sahel Kazemi, was killed by a single gunshot wound and the pistol was found under her body, Aaron said.

Aaron said the two had been in a "dating relationship for past several months."

Asked if the deaths could have caused by a lover's quarrel, Aaron said, "That's a very important part of the investigation as we work to ultimately classify Miss Kazemi's death."

Police said they need to do more interviews with friends of Kazemi and McNair before they rule on whether her death was a suicide, Aaron said.

McNair, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, was married with four children. He and Kazemi were found dead Saturday afternoon at a Nashville condominium he shared with a friend, and police said Sunday that it appears the two died in the early morning.

Police earlier said they weren't looking for any suspects and do not believe McNair's wife was involved. Mechelle McNair, mother of two of his four sons, was expected to collect her husband's belongings from authorities. Funeral arrangements were not expected to be finalized until Monday afternoon at the earliest.

"She's still very upset, very distraught," agent Bus Cook said.

McNair led the famous Tennessee Titans' drive that came a yard short of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl, before the Titans traded him to the Baltimore Ravens in 2006. "On the field, there isn't a player that was as tough as him," the Ravens' Derrick Mason said.

McNair retired last year and had recently opened a restaurant in Nashville, where he shared a condo with a friend.

A man who answered the door at a house in the Jacksonville, Fla., suburb of Orange Park said it was the home of Kazemi's family, but said her relatives did not want to comment.

"We don't have anything to say, please leave us alone," he said.

A Nashville neighbor saw McNair, 36, at Kazemi's Nashville apartment so often - two to three times a week - that she thought McNair had moved in. McNair never tried to hide his presence but kept to himself.

Neighbor Reagan Howard said Kazemi often was dropped off in the early morning hours by a limousine and upgraded recently from her Kia to a Cadillac Escalade.

"It was pretty obvious that she was taken with him," Howard said.

McNair and Kazemi had been together just two days earlier, when she was pulled over driving a 2007 Escalade registered to her and McNair. She was arrested on a DUI charges, and he was allowed to leave in a taxi.

STEVE MCNAIR (1973-2009) News: Both former Titans and Ravens teammates react to the shocking death of popular former QB Steve McNair. More ...
Video: 'Tough' doesn't begin to describe slain former QB Steve McNair, says NFL on FOX's Jay Glazer, recalling one of his 'Superman' feats. More ...
Photos: Former 13-year NFL QB Steve McNair leaves an enduring legacy built on grit, toughness and winning. Here's a look back at his career. More ...
The bodies were discovered by McNair's longtime friend, Wayne Neeley, who rents the condo in the upscale Rutledge Hill neighborhood with McNair.

Neeley then called Robert Gaddy, who had been friends with McNair since they played at Alcorn State. Gaddy alerted authorities.

"People have certain things that they do in life," Gaddy told The Associated Press on Sunday. "We don't need to look on the situation at this time (but) on the fact we just lost a great member of society."

Cook said he was not aware that McNair was seeing Kazemi, a woman whose name the agent learned about through reports of the shooting.

"It doesn't make any sense. I don't know what to say," Cook said.

Police said a witness saw McNair arrive at the condo between 1:30 and 2 a.m. Saturday and that Kazemi's vehicle was already there. The condominium is located within walking distance of an area filled with restaurants and nightspots, a few blocks from the Cumberland River and within view of the Titans' stadium.

Fred McNair, Steve McNair's oldest brother, said some family members would likely travel to Nashville on Monday to consult with Mechelle.

McNair and his wife split their time between Nashville and their farm in Mount Olive, Miss., according to a statement from the Titans.

An arrest affidavit from Thursday said Kazemi had bloodshot eyes and alcohol on her breath when she was pulled over, but refused a breathalyzer test, saying "she was not drunk, she was high."

McNair and his family frequented the restaurant where Kazemi was a waitress, according to employees and patrons of Dave & Buster's in Nashville.

"She was reliable 90 percent of the time," manager Chris Truelove said of Kazemi. "She was pretty outgoing. A lot of the guests liked being around her, and she liked being around the guests."

Co-worker Shantez Jobe, 33, said she was friends with Kazemi.

"We talked about who had more fashion sense, and who was the cutest, and who could get more boys, you know some of the stuff girls do," Jobe said.

In June, McNair opened a restaurant near the Tennessee State University campus. It was closed Saturday evening, but had become a small memorial, where flowers, candles and notes had been placed outside the door.

Steve McNair played 13 NFL seasons. (Chris McGrath / Getty Images)

McNair led the Titans to the 2000 Super Bowl, which they lost 23-16 to the St. Louis Rams. He was co-MVP of the NFL with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning in 2003.

Manning said in a statement Sunday that he had some great battles with the quarterback.

"Sharing the NFL MVP honor with him in 2003 was special because of what a great football player he was," Manning said. "I had the opportunity to play in a couple of Pro Bowls with him, and the time spent with him in Hawaii I'll never forget. I'll truly miss him. My condolences go out to his family."

McNair's most notable moment came in the 2000 Super Bowl. With the Titans trailing by seven, he led the team 87 yards in the final minute and 48 seconds, only to come up a yard short of a touchdown. Kevin Dyson caught his 9-yard pass, but was tackled at the 1-yard line by the Rams' Mike Jones.

McNair accounted for all of Tennessee's yards in that drive, throwing for 48 yards and rushing for 14. The rest of the yardage came on penalties against the Rams. Before that, he brought the Titans back from a 16-0 deficit to tie the game.

"If you were going to draw a football player, the physical part, the mental part, everything about being a professional, he is your guy," former Ravens and Titans teammate Samari Rolle said. "I can't even wrap my arms around it."

McNair grew up in rural Mount Olive, Miss., and became a nationally known college football star playing for Alcorn State, a Division I-AA school in his home state. He was so dominant in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, he became a Heisman Trophy contender. National media flocked to little Lorman in the southwest corner of the Magnolia state to get a look at "Air McNair." He still holds the Division I-AA (now known as Football Championship Subdivision) records for career yards passing (14,496) and total offense (16,823).

McNair was the third overall draft pick in 1995 by the Houston Oilers, who eventually became the Titans. He finished his career with 31,304 yards passing and 174 touchdowns. McNair's rugged style led to numerous injuries and aches. He played with pain for several years, and the injuries ultimately forced him to retire.

During a five-game stretch at the end of the 2002 season, McNair was so bruised he couldn't practice. But he started all five games and won them, leading the Titans to an 11-5 record and a berth in the AFC championship game for the second time in four seasons.

McNair played all 16 games in 2006, his first season in Baltimore, and guided the Ravens to a 13-3 record. But he injured his groin during the season opener in 2007 and never regained the form that put him in those Pro Bowls.

McNair is survived by Mechelle, his wife of nearly 12 years; and sons Junior, Steven, Tyler and Trenton.

UTROY

And "The Juice" was innocent too. I guess the only no no's are dog fighting and armed robbery of a nerf football with your John Hancock on it.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Oh Mossback50caaaaal, how does that crow taste now brotha? You need to check the definition of a hypocrit. I can only speak for myself when I say that I DO NOT practice those morals so condemning them is NOT hypocritical!

www.awholelottabull.com

I hold to what Scripture says about it not being our place to judge others-that is for God.

BUT there are rules given for us to live by and there are both earthly and eternal consequences for not living by those rules.Those rules are for our own good.This situation is just one example of why they exist-no question that if Mr. McNair had been doing what he was supposed to this tragedy would heve never occurred. We can all learn from that lesson.

why do the news agencies keep calling her his "girlfriend"?. Correctly put she was his mistress.

Even i think think McNair had a lot of issues.
Regards,
Kobe

Yeah i have been nuked a time or two also doesnt bother me a whole lot...I know people personally that voiced their opinion of someone and the "crew" they employ nuked...basicly if you never got to see my post i was saying that he might have been in the process of divorce it doesnt take 5 mins for a divorce when money is involved....I WAS WRONG I DONT SAY IT MUCH BUT IN THIS CASE I WAS. but i am also man enough to admit it. And no you cant say anything you want to just by using a little tact...and i know when i am pushing a boundary too and just wait for the nuke. I am saying that there are certain things you have to make pg rated here. I am also saying a site that you dont have to whatch what you say or risk offending someone would be nice too.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

I'm in no means saying we should worship him. I never said cheating was right, it's just a personal decision that hurts you and your spouse, not anyone else. So don't bash him. Even if he was cheating, he did not deserve to be killed, just not morally right. So don't think i'm saying it's ok to cheat, just it gets annoying that everyone always has to be so negative all the time on here. From someone shooting a "small" deer and getting blasted to things like this.

mossback, here's the deal. What he did or didn't do made big time news and we're commenting on it. Some comments may be harsh, some may be sympathetic, that's just the way these places work. But here you are, putting "us" and "this place" down. How did you expect that to go over?

Joey

Many people who have been special athletes from a very young age don't have a good idea about right and wrong.

Society as a whole has a huge devorce rate.

I think what is shocking is that folks in general saw McNair as a good guy. I have no idea if he was a good guy or not.

-----------------------------------------------
The problem I have is society in general doesn't want to lay blame or talk about consequences to ones actions.

Who knows what happened, what we do know is society/media continually try to call things normal when they are not. It is not normal to be with a 20 year old girl when you are a much older maried man.
It is not normal to buy a car with a 20 year old girl when you are an older married man.
Our young people end up repeating dumb decisions more often as media trys to paint pictures without talking about responsibililty and consequence.
Think about Bill Clinton and his actions with a 22 year old intern. Did he only hurt Hilary? I think he hurt more people than just Hilary because there are young people at that time who now see that as normal. Same with McNair.

4X4, that's the whole problem, society as a whole is messed up. It's not just celebrities, politicians, or anything like that. It is ninety five percent of people. Noone has values anymore, no morals, nothing. It's amazing that people get away with what they do. Look at Donte Stallworth, killed someone drinking and driving, and only got thirty days. And you can't say it was just because he was a celebrity. My friend was killed by a drunk driver when I was seventeen, and the driver only did two years. Two years for making a choice that killed someone... Along with drugs, crime and things like this, it is all of society. Not just one, two or thousands of people.

I kind of have to go with the, "I don't care what he did with his personal choices".

The man did what we paid him to do....play the game and entertain us.

After that, it's none of my business, unless he broke the law, and even then, it ain't up to me to decide.

I am in no way able to judge anyone for anything......especially having a woman on the side. Done it myself, 35 years ago and have many friends who have as well.

It ain't right, but I don't know what his home life was like.

The one thing I do know for fact..........it will always end bad. In McNair's case, it ended about as bad as it can get.

Mossback,

I agree for the most part with awholelottabull. I don't think he was saying that he deserved to be shot and now dead. Just that if he wasn't cheating and being immoral he wouldn't be in that position at all and would still be alive. Bad decisions do lead to bad consequences. I am personally glad to see a few people on here stand up for good morals. Thanks to you who have.

The lure of young poonany has been the undoing of many men !!

"Good mass & long brows"

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-09 AT 11:56AM (MST)[p]>If you get a chance read
>Jason Whitlocks article on McNair
>on foxsports, finally somebody telling
>it like it is.

EXACTLY Orion - you nailed it. And so did Whitlock. That is what I have been saying all along.

Here is the article:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9777174/Don't-be-so-quick-to-make-McNair-a-hero

Don't be so quick to make McNair a hero
by Jason Whitlock

Jason Whitlock brings his edgy and thought-provoking style to FOXSports.com. Columnist for the Kansas City Star, he has won the National Journalism Award for Commentary for "his ability to seamlessly integrate sports and social commentary and to challenge widely held assumptions along the racial divide."

Updated: July 7, 2009, 11:46 AM EDT

We can quit calling Steve McNair a great leader now. Leadership starts at home.

And I'm no longer all that interested in hearing about the community service work McNair did in Tennessee and Mississippi. Service to community begins at home, too.

If you read this column regularly, you know I'm not the morality police, you know I'm far from bothered by McNair's May-December romance and you probably should've surmised I get my "Becky on" from time to time.

Stop reading now if your preference is sugar-coated, politically-correct, phony-ass pontificating. You can find plenty of that garbage littering the Internet.

I'm going to get knee deep in this Steve McNair tragedy and what it really signifies.

Until the police wrap up their investigation, I'm only willing to acknowledge four victims ? McNair's four sons.

I don't know how to classify the adults in this saga ? McNair, his wife Mechelle or his 20-year-old girlfriend, Sahel "Jenny" Kazemi.

The kids, they're victims of two horrific crimes: 1. the murder of their father; 2. their father's apparent abandonment so that he had time to wine, dine, vacation and shack up with his jump-off.

Let me repeat, I'm not some sanctimonious moralizer.

Personally, I prefer June-December romances, but a blossoming May flower certainly could be fertilized into a special, 28-year-old bouquet by a patient and attentive gardener.

As for the life-experience, station-in-life disparity between a retired millionaire quarterback and a Dave & Buster's waitress, well, let he who has never Captained cast the first hoe.

Every man I know has a little Captain in him. We see a pretty young thang working her way through nursing or cosmetology school and it's just in our nature to pay a cellphone bill, a car note or get her nails done.

It's what we do. And if you've earned a chunk of change in professional sports or in corporate America, you might buy a big black Escalade in her name, fly her to Vegas or go parasailing over the ocean.

It's not a black or white thing. It's not an athlete thing. It's a man thing we haven't been able to shake since Eve gave us an apple.

The look of pure, unadulterated joy on McNair's face captured as he and Jenny parasailed is one every real man recognizes as the uncontrollable feeling of elation that gushes through the male, middle-aged body when he finds the Tenderoni Bobby Brown sang about.

Do not read this as me condoning McNair's extramarital affair. I'm not.

But we don't know the nature of Steve and Mechelle McNair's relationship. We don't know what made them happy, what agreement they reached or what was transpiring in their marriage.

What we do know is that McNair had four sons. And based on the observations and comments of Kazemi's neighbors and neighbors at the condominium McNair rented, McNair spent so much time with Kazemi over the past few months that people assumed they lived together.

You see, this is my problem with McNair, with American men as a whole.

We shirk our responsibilities as fathers. We don't have time for it. We think it's a part- or no-time job. We think our career is more important. We think charity work is more important. We think some young tail is more important.

We foolishly believe we're unnecessary in the rearing of children. This mindset must die.

I pass no judgment on McNair kicking it with a woman 16 years his junior. I don't agree with it, but I pass no judgment on McNair "cheating" on his wife.

However, I think it's ridiculous and embarrassing that he spent so much time chasing after a Nashville waitress that he created the impression he lived with her.

Many have tried, but you can't maintain two homes, two families. If HBO has shown us anything, it's that kids are the losers when it comes to Big Love.

You can't live with a waitress in a condo/apartment, take her parasailing, clubbing, to Vegas and raise a brood of boys living in a home on the other side of town.

Kids are game-changers. Kids require sacrifice. Kids are a daily and sometimes hourly responsibility. You don't properly raise them in your spare time with money, fame, gifts and glowing newspaper and magazine stories about your courage to play on Sundays despite injury and pain.

Steve McNair sounds like a warrior who fought the wrong war. He won a public-relations battle.

He was so popular in Nashville that when his under-drinking-age "Becky" got popped driving her mistress ransom while drunk and/or high the police called a cab to give McNair, the Escalade passenger, a ride home.

This is the privilege of fame and inclusion in the boys club. We're so mentally diseased that we instinctively feel empathy and envy when we see a married father of four liquored up with his near-teenage girlfriend.

You know what the cop was thinking:

But for the grace of God, two-tenths of a second on my 40 time and the high school coach who made me play tight end rather than receiver, there go I.

Steve McNair was flawed in the same way as most American men.

Too many men think financial success is their primary and most important contribution to a relationship with their kids, wives and/or girlfriends. A grown woman has the right to settle for that. Children shouldn't have to settle for anything less than their father's very best effort.

UTROY

Wait one Fricking minute Roy I like Big Love. It's like a real life drama if you had that many Women in your life.

He will not be getting the leadership award this year.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom