Steiner Peregrine XP 8x44

• Thread starter Idahotrophyhunter
  • Start date
I

Idahotrophyhunter

Does anyone out there use these for western hunting? I have read many reviews on them on bird forums and they appear to be up there as a major alpha bino that runs with the worlds best.

Just curious if anyone on here has any info on them.

Great bino, almost alpha level but have been bested or equaled recently by the new Meopta Meostar HD and Zeiss Conquest HD which both sell for around $1000.

Some people have had problems with excessive eye relief .

To my eyes these are better;

Zeiss Victory FL
Swarovski SLC HD
Swarovski Swarovision
Leica Ultravid HD

good to know...i am tempted on trying a show sample 8X44 thats priced at $700.00

Think I just answered this one at OT too. Those Steiner Peregrines are not "almost alpha". They are alpha class. I would take one of those as my first choice in an alpha class glass. In my case it is mostly ergonomics. Nothing feels as good in hand as those do. Optically the differences are mostly differences in color bias, that and you never know how any given set of eyeballs will react to any given binocular. I Think a Swarovski SLC-HD is the best image in the alphas today (but not enough better than the Peregrine XP or the Swaro EL or SLC to be worth $2k...and I have yet to see the new Zeiss). The rolling ball effect in the new Swarovision EL's gets the best of me and I would not keep one of those any longer than it took to sell it. If you can get a new condition show demo sample Peregrine for $700, that is half price and qualifies as a deal in my book. Those things define "alpha class durability".

I would not choose the peregrine at its current retail price over the other binos I listed. However, at $700 that would be a great glass for the price.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a lightly used Zeiss Victory FL as I have been seeing them sell in the $1200 area recently. Best bang for the buck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom