Steer to butcher

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
I had a real bummer over the weekend. I am raising or was raising an angus steer for butcher. He was about 600 pounds or so and that's just a guess. I have him out to pasture that has a few orange trees in it with some Pigmy goats and my steer put his feet up on a tree to get at the leaves, slipped and fell. His right leg went between two branches and his body fell to the opposite side of the tree and he snapped his leg between the knee and shoulder and was pinned there. I had to get the saws all and electric cord out to cut the limb to get his foot out. I could not get a chainsaw in there. I went into panic mode thinking at first his leg might be fine. Then from there I had to figure out what to do. Generally this time of year the local butcher shop we go to is busy with elk so the plan was to bring the steer to them in January for butcher. He should have been really big by then too. As it was we called them and because of the emergency they allowed us to bring him in now. Trouble was I was without a trailer. I called around and found a neighbor that had one but they were not home. So they told us how to get to it and unlock it. Finally got the trailer around for loading. The steer was still laying on his side and I really didn't think we would get him up on his feet. He tried a few times but couldn't do it. His broke leg was up and between a neighbor and I we tried to help but he was just too big. Then all by himself he completely rolled over until his bad leg was down and was able to get his good leg under him and he got up. It took some doing but we were finally able to trailer him. I felt bad for the cow and even worse that I had to take him in so darn early. I have to admit, I was surprised at myself for the stress and panic I went through. I have had several beefs raised for butcher but they never went through any trauma before being loaded and hauled off. Just goes to show you learn something about yourself when you didn't think there was anything else to learn.

GBA

Kinda strange how some of us feel about situations like that.

The steer was being raised for food..yet, if they are injured and suffering, that's not so good.

As a kid, I had a favorite calf named Robert. Once he got older, and it was time for the butchering, Dad had me help load him in the trailer. Cycle of life...still, I feel for an animal that is suffering.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

It's the same way with hunting. I know I want to kill an animal but I don't want to see it suffer due to a bad shot. I always try to make the first shot count and usually do, which makes me feel good.

That steer ought to be excellent eating.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-10 AT 05:49AM (MST)[p]The old killer instinct seems to soften as we get older. I used to hunt jack rabbits every chance I got when I was young. Even in college we would head out two or three times a week. We killed truck loads of them. When I was a young boy I would sleep with my BB gun, in my sleeping bag out on the lawn. I would get up early and kill enough sparrows to feed every cat in the neighborhood. I love to hunt, but going out just to kill something, now is not something I want to do. The hunt, the challenge of picking out a critter over the summer and being able to kill that particular animal is where the thrill is. I enjoy taking others out and helping them find a buck to fill their tag. Teaching someone what hunting is all about and how to do it is enjoyable. Killing just for the sake of killing is no longer in my desire list. I remember when we would raise a calf, we did it with someone else raising another calf. When it came time to butcher we would then trade the calves so we wouldn't be having to eat a pet.

I raise a steer every other year and a pig every other year for butcher. I have always made sure any animals I have no matter what its for is content to live a pretty good life for however short that might be. I don't get attached in a way that bothers me to send them off to butcher and to eat them but I do get to know them and their personalities and yes, when this steer fell and broke his leg it really got to me. I felt great relief when the butcher shot him and put him down, I knew he was no longer in any discomfort or pain. All of these emotions really surprised me, however I will raise more beef/animals for butcher and Im already looking to finds a calf at a good price now.

GBA

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-10 AT 09:11AM (MST)[p]>I raise a steer every other
>year and a pig every
>other year for butcher. I
>have always made sure any
>animals I have no matter
>what its for is content
>to live a pretty good
>life for however short that
>might be. I don't get
>attached in a way that
>bothers me to send them
>off to butcher and to
>eat them but I do
>get to know them and
>their personalities and yes, when
>this steer fell and broke
>his leg it really got
>to me. I felt great
>relief when the butcher shot
>him and put him down,
>I knew he was no
>longer in any discomfort or
>pain. All of these emotions
>really surprised me, however I
>will raise more beef/animals for
>butcher and Im already looking
>to finds a calf at
>a good price now.
>
>GBA

I totally second that one GBA. You have a blessed heart my friend.

I wish that I still lived on a ranch. I used to raise and show market beef in the F.F.A. The memories are so pleasant.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom