Steelhead success

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I've been fishing quite a bit since the 1st of the year. It's only about 20 minutes from home and I usually hook a fish or two every trip. It's all catch and release so I usually just make a quick release and don't bother with the photo. Today I met a buddy down at the river, so I took the camera this time. We hooked and landed 5 fish, which is kind of rare on barbless hooks. A beautiful day on the river, with a good friend. Too bad I'm retired and he still works. I'll be down there tomorrow and he won't.:)

4565kenduzen2015_001.jpg

1846kenduzen2015_002.jpg

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Nice fish! But I was going to say nice bait for fishing Kona but I remembered you went to school with my grandpa...

2311idiot.jpg

Awesome Eel, That second Fish looks like he could tear up the river some. I love Steelhead fishing, even if it's just plunking!

Get you some of that! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Nice, I have fished for Steel Head a few times. All in Idaho, between Salmon and Shoup. The ones we get aren't as pretty as those And we feel lucky if we get 2 in a day! We fly fish and try to get as low and slow as we can. Thanks for the pic's Gave me awesome memories.

Nice looking fish and sounds like you've been having some fun. My good friend that lives in McKinleyville keeps texting me pictures of the big steelhead he's been catching trying to get me to come out. It just might work!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-15 AT 06:09PM (MST)[p]The first one is smolt size, but so bright it's cool. The second fish is a nice 7lb or so fish. Did you use yarn and corkies ?

Eel, if you keep that up you are going to wear out your landing net. Better get over to Bucksport and get a new one. Nice photos and great fishing.

RELH

Thanks for the compliments. It's about 5-7 miles to the ocean. We use all the standard stuff. Corkies, spinglo's, roe, yarn, glow bugs, etc. Keep switching.

RELH, Bucksport has a good variety. Retail + 10% lol More of a tourist stop. I have bought a ton of stuff there over the years.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

How many of them have you Guys been sneakin home for Dinner?:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

>How many of them have you
>Guys been sneakin home for
>Dinner?:D

None. I'd rather get caught clubbing a pack of wolf pups to death than get caught killing a wild steelhead. The fine would be cheaper.:D

Oh how fun it would be!!! Great Pic's Congrats to you and your buddy! Did I see a gold nugget in that second pic? When I die I want them to throw me in the river so I can grab all the Steelhead, Salmon and Gold nuggets that pass by. Rutnbuck

eel, when I was looking at those steelhead pictures I noticed my figure nails starting to change color, then it started up my hands and arms, kind of a pale green. By the time I was finished reading the post, I looked like a head of lettuce.

Envy is a bitter pill.

DC

Thanks 2lumpy. It means a lot to me! Wish you could join me.

Eel

>>How many of them have you
>>Guys been sneakin home for
>>Dinner?:D
>
>None. I'd rather get caught clubbing
>a pack of wolf pups
>to death than get caught
>killing a wild steelhead. The
>fine would be cheaper.:D
>
>It's written in the good Book
>that we'll never be asked
>to take more than we
>can. Sounds like a good
>plan, so bring it on!
>
>
>

LMAO Eel!
I've only salmon fished but always wanted to chase Steelhead, looks fun! Cool pics!

Guess I will be the one to make the correction on spelling, but since the alloted time to edit has elasped I will just say:
"eel, when I was looking at those steelhead pictures I noticed my figure nails starting to change color". That should have read FINGER and not figure like a curvy young lady. LOL

Nice pictures and great looking catches too.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I'd rather see a figure than a finger kilo, Froodian Slip I guess, ;-).

Aw crap.......Froydian, Froydian, Froydian, Froydian, Froydian .

Not to worry. When I hook a big steelhead I don't even remember my name. It's been that way forever:)

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-15 AT 00:01AM (MST)[p]Steve, It sure is nice to be able to get in on the fish while they're in the river. Back in my 20's, there wasn't a year that i didn't make several trips up the coast to fish one stream-river or another and with the usual results of those Steelhead whompin my butt. It got to where i felt addicted to the chase and landing fish was the bonus.

Isn't it nice that nobody has yet figured out a way to regulate, close down accesses, become a middle man, and make money off this sport that we love and been doing all these years for little more than the cost of a license? Isn't it nice that a person can go out and fish steelhead in any of a dozen or more waters, hundreds of places, in thousands of honeyholes, and nobody is making a dime off it other than the local guides who well earn their money and a few small businesses nearby that gladly take the fisherman's trade?

These last few months have really made me realize, if we can hold off the Masses in the Cities that want to put a fence around our outdoors, we here in Calif have it better than most.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>I'd rather see a figure than
>a finger kilo, Froodian Slip
>I guess, ;-).
>
>Aw crap.......Froydian, Froydian, Froydian, Froydian, Froydian
>.

Freudian ;-)

Thanks for the memories Eel...I used to fish the Central Coast for Steelies.The creek I lived on would hold them after a storm,see them jumping my AZ Xing driving in or out.
DFG said there weren't any in my stream,so how did those big rainbows wind up in my beep holes,waiting til next storm?

It's good to hear that lots of us share the same passions. You're right Joey and it's almost 365 days a year with our mild weather. California is a great play ground!

We now need some rain. The river is low and clear so the fish are hiding in the deep holes during the day. I like to leave them be when that happens. F&W will close the river if it gets too low, which is a good thing.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-15 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]Mad or Van Duzen River?

I'm off the 2nd week of February.
I'm planning on hitting the north coast rivers for steelhead and Alturas for coyotes.

Good stuff Steve!

Did you hear about the monster steelhead from the Smith River?
It was released but the length and girth measurements has it bigger than the state record! (27lbs)

smith_river_monster_zps6a8d0941.jpg

Wow! That's a great fish. A hen too!

PM sent HH.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom