Starting my 280 reloads

muzz

Long Time Member
So I am thinking 140 grain accubonds. Or Hornady Interbonds. What powder? Or bullet?

All 280 fans pitch in please.

Elk and deer gun.

I use RL-19 & Federal primers. Are you reloading for a bolt action or autoloader? Is it the 280rem or 280AI? I love my 280rem, i use it for 90% of my rifle hunting. My handloads average 2950 & 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

7 Mag

I use IMR 4350, with all bullet weights. I shoot mostly 160 gr Nosler partitions, at about 2875 average, and 139 Hornady SST at a little over 3000. Very good underrated caliber. Also I use CCI 250 primers.

We will be using a Rem 280 for an elk hunt this year and I am curious what grain of bullet are you shooting and would you recommend it for elk?

Yelum

Its a Bolt action rifle. Is there much difference with the 150 and 140 grain bullets? I am not affraid to hunt elk with the 140 grain bullets, I am hoping I can get close to 3000 fps. If not oh well I will know where its shooting regardless. I love this cal and will hunt everything with it with no doubts.

Yelum,

I use both 140 & 150gr in my 280, just depends on what i'm hunting. I use IMR4350 & 150gr Nosler Partitions for muledeer. My loads are 2910 FPS & i would also use this load for elk. The 140gr accubond is the load i mentioned in my first post.

Muzz, I tpically like heavier bullets for elk but i would not hesitate to use the 140gr accubond. You might get 3000 FPS just becareful of excessive pressure.

7 Mag

I have had great success shooting 150 gr Nosler Partitions on antelope, deer, elk and moose. I have tried many types of bullets (X, Accu, SilverTips, Failsafe, etc) and nothing has out performed the 150gr Partitions. Usually like them running around 2900 fps. Shooting Remington and Sako rifles.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom