Spring turkey

Tristate

Long Time Member
Howdy! Just got back from spring turkey hunting. Ranch I went to was lousy with lovesick birds. I was trying to get my son his first turkey. He has been going with me since he was four and has seen a couple of them get blasted but this was his first year as triggerman. The first morning we were set up nicely and I could here at least twenty Toms gobbling from our front and right. At day break eleven of the toms were strutting in the flat 200 yards in front of us. My boy told me, "This is the best turkey hunt ever". Later that morning I put three toms right in his shooting lane and he shot one but he ran away. Birds came in too fast and too twitchy. It would have been a tough shot for most gunners. The next morning I put two in front of him and he hammered a nice bird. A couple things I learned on this hunt is first it is much harder setting up a turkey for a kid to kill him than it is to call one in. Second little kids can actually pass out from an adrenaline rush.

2mq23j8.jpg

Keep killin', everybody.

Congrats! There is nothing better than hunting with your youngun and that smile tells it all. My kids are in their 40s now, so I get my kicks mentoring kids that have parents that don't hunt or have never turkey hunted. Our hunts will be the first week of May up here and I'm really looking forward to them after the brutal winter we've been through this year. The only thing better than a gobbling longbeard in the Spring is a bugling bull in September!

That is awesome! I still remember my daughters first year hunting turkey. Fun, exciting, frustrating, and emotional all in one package. Congrats to the both of you!

Congrats!
I want to hear the passing out from adrenaline part of the story!

>>>---->
For the love of the game

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-14 AT 01:51PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys. When the turkey were close and gobblin' the boy would start getting the shakes and breathing heavy. I would start whispering in his ear to get him calmed down and finally it would work. The last day after he had shot his turkey we went back out to see if he could get a second. I had three toms come in and pin us down for over an hour in some bushes. The noise was constant and loud at less than ten yards. My son went through the shakes twice. Finally the birds started moving into his shooting alley and I told him to get ready. Nothing happened. I looked down at him and realized he was out. 3 toms screaming in his ears for an hour at less than ten yards and he passed out. I wish I could be that excited still.

He's hooked for life!

Awesome Tristate, thanks for sharing

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom