spring rains?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Seems the last few years, weather has not been too unkind to the critters. There has been another nice spring rain pass through here today, can't help but be great for what grows and for those what we hunt.

Spring rains help but does the bounty of Mother Nature's blessings have much effect on increasing numbers of animals in areas with abnormally low populations?

Seems to me, because of decent winters and weather, there should be a few more mouths to feed out where they live.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

1st spring rains in NM in years,greening up good,critters healthy,more on way. Just hoping for some snowpack this year.

I live in southwest Wyoming. Just put up a rain gauge two days ago. It now is showing exactly 3 inches of water. There was only enough snow to cover the ground a couple time, all winter, so this is great news. If it keeps doing what it has been doing, the last week or so, it will make a huge dent in the damage done, from no snow pack.

I also live in SW Wy. The last few years have been great for mild winters and good timely moisture. Does this " mother nature's bounty" translate to more critters? Absolutely! Well, at least it should. From what I have observed through trailcams, scouting, winter range photo excursions, etc; more fawn survival and deer in excellent body condition should mean more bucks on the ground this year.

Now, in an area with abnormally low populations, herd recovery could be helped along with some aggressive predator control prior to and during fawning/calving. In this desert country, moisture is essential to herd growth, but predators need to be kept at bay while the herd recovers to good numbers.

We've had daily moisture for the past week or so, and it is currently snowing in Rock Springs.

Hopefully the mountains are getting pounded with snow.

Thanks guys! Have you had enough? :)

Seems every day when i look at the western States satellite, i'm still seeing more storms going thru and rains are falling.

I haven't had to water my yard yet. Nothing that will clean out the creeks of sediment but again, these rains where i'm at can't hurt...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

On just an average year the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources says we have a 40% fawn survival rate. They put out info stating an incredible 80% fawn survival rate and high doe survival rate.

Utah been getting good rain and everything is nice and green.

Should help in the overall numbers over several years IMO

Just checked the NOAA El Nino forecast and things are looking good for early season too now!! This months rain is a taste of the monsoon here they say.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom