spotting scopes

highcountryhays

I have a Zeiss diascope 65. It is a really good scope, but when I try to zoom in, I lose light and clarity. Is the 85mm Vortex better. If not, what is the very best scope available?

I have a buddy that has a razor hd spotting scope and I've been really impressed with it. It's really clear and does a good job even as you zoom in. I personally have a Swaro 80 hd it it's clear at any power. I won't lie, I'm a Swaro fan boy but I zeiss before my Swaro and I personally feel its much better

You need a larger objective lens to see more in low light.
Its simple mathmatics. Devide the magnification by the objective lens diameter to get the exit pupil.

Example a 8x40 bino gives you an exit pupil of 5mm, the circle of light leaving the eyepiece of this bino is only 5mm, your eye can dialate to about a 6mm. To see images out of an optic equal to the ability of the brightness your eyes are capable of you need a 5mm or so exit pupil of light out of the optic.

Yes the 85mm Vortex Razor HD would be brighter than your 65mm scope as it has comparable lens quality and lens coatings. It will provide brighter images at higher power than your 65mm.

Lens quality and coatings are important but also the objective size.

I understand the numbers. I guess my question is there that much difference between the high end scopes such as the Swaro HD 80, and the Razor 85? and is the Razor 85 much better than my Zeiss 65?

Like I said I'm a Swaro guy and I spent the money for it because there is a difference. As far as the glass goes between your zeiss and the vortex from what I've seen there pretty equal. The vortex will allow more like it though which will help with a clearer image as you zoom in

you need the larger objective lens so you don't lose the brightness at higher zoom. Either Vortex Razor HD or Zen-Ray ED2 spotter will perform well in that class

I prefer the swaro 80mm and also 65 mm for back packing. As far as is it worth it. It only takes one time hunting were I can tell if a buck or bull is worth going after in the last few minutes of light for it to be worth it to me. I feel that the swaro is the brightest.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom