spotting scopes

L

larrypdo

I'm looking at spending around $600 for a spotting scope. What scope will give me the most bang for my buck? I'm looking at Nikon 20-60x82 ProStaff angled and a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80ED angled. Are there any others that I should look at? Thanks for the HELP.

Thought I would answer you and give you what little info I have. I posted on the real life experience for spotting scopes hoping to get info from guys who have looked through and been able to compare between them, but have only gotten two responses at this time, which I do appreciate.

I have looked through the Nikon Prostaff and compared to the Swaro, which I believe is the standard. The Swaro was noticeably brigther and clearer. I've not looked through an Elite so cannot comment. I did read a review from a person who sounded like to me knew what she was talking about. She said the Nikon ED glass was every bit as good as Swaro. My feeling is, it's a good lead but the proof is in the seeing. Camera Land, at this time does have the 20-60 X 60 demo for about $750.

I think if a person looks and compares, you could come close to a Swaro for about half the price, but maybe not? I'm going to keep trying.

I've searched this site to no end, and there isn't much info on spotters, unless it's Vortex or Swaro. The site is sponsored by Vortex, so you get a bunch of comments towards that, and then the guys who just chime in "you aren't a real hunter unless you have Swaro...".

For what it's worth, I've heard very good things about Nikon ED glass; but not so much on the ProStaff scope. Try simply Googling your scope, and read some reviews out there on the net.

It comes down to your usage requirements. If you're hunting a $hitton during the year, you might be serious enough to look at the more expensive brands. But, if you're an average guy, I would save up for another month and take a good look at the Nikon ED glass for around $750.

Larry,
before you buy anything I would look at the Vortex Skyline 20-60x80. Great scope. It beats the pants off the other 2 you listed and it comes with aarranty every bit as good as swarovski, leica, and zeis. Call me and we can talk more bout it.

Jim
801-787-2125

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I have the Cabela's Big Sky HD with the 66mm objective and have been satisfied. It was right around the $600 price.

The biggest piece of advice I could offer though is buy a quality, lightweight tripod. The best glass in the world isn't worth squat without a steady, solid base.

what is the thoughts on on the leupold 12-40X60mm?? that scope kicks butt IMO. i dont think anyonw will try to say they have a better warrenty. an the quality of glass is great! i think you can buy it for 750-800 dollers. what do you guys think of it?

I had the Leupold Gold ring 12-40x60mm I was very pleased with it. Eventually I sold it and made the jump to the
Swarovski STS-80mm. I am extremely happy with the swaro but the leupold was a good scope and served me well.

I have used the bushnell elite spotting scopealso which I also think is a good spotter for the money.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

i love my prostaff. I have been on the mountain top at the crack of dawn glassin with a friend that has the swaro. We both were amazed at how much brighter mine was. In midday the swaro was better with heat lines tho. I am rarely glassin midday though. Go to cabellas and ask to take them outside,

LAST EDITED ON May-05-09 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]Depends of truck or backpack usage. I have owned or own five scopes.

My best by far for backpacking would be the Nikon Ed 50 with a 40x zoom or the 27x fixed as suggested on this forum. Very clear. Can be had for about $600. Good low light, very lightweight. 19-21-oz. Buy the scope and eyepeice separate if you can. The 40x zoom is better than the 30 most ship with.

Second, for packing would be the 60 mm Sarovski Hd or non HD. A bit heavy at 47 oz. but compact enough and great light transmission. Really can't be beat, but expensive. About $1700 plus tax.

Third I have owned 2 80 mm scopes and the Nikon ED 82 mm. For the price and versatilty, i think the Nikon is the best bet. It will cost about $1250-1350 depending on where you buy. This is very good glass and it is very close to the 80 mmm Swarovski I owned (non HD) In fact i would say it is better. It has a 25-75 xoom on it. Wonderful piece of equipment. I sold it to pay for a surgery for my dog. I want another one!

I owned the 80 mm elite and it was a very good scope for about $650. It is no where close to the Nikon. I would say save your money and get the nikon. If you cannot, the Elite is good and is comprable to the Vortex Skyline. The Skyline is heavier, but I think you get much better customer service from them. Bushnell came through for me, but I had to haggle with them and always follow up.

I don't ever have that problem with my Swarovski's though. You do get what you pay for, but i think both the Nikon 50 ed and 82 ED are really great glass if you can't afford Swaro.

Larrypdo,

I really think you will like the Nikon Ed 50 for the best bang for your buck and your back in the backcountry.

I get nothing in return for the info, but I left a post to ASB in "Compact spotting Scopes" that proved information on how to obtain a Nikon 50 for $669 with a 40 x zoom or a 30 x for $569. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Best of Luck,

Porter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom