Spotting Scope

Z

z90

Just looking for some help on which spotting scope to get. I am looking at the Nikon Fieldscope ED 20x60x60,a Swarovski 65mm, or a Zeiss 20x60x85 Victory Diascope. Any experience or help would be appreciated. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-08 AT 07:27PM (MST)[p]I have the Zeiss 15x45x65mm scope. It's a nice piece of equipment but I have had problems with the focus knob. It took 4 years of sending it back and forth to Germany trying to fix it before the finally gave me a different scope, at my request. In the end, they would only give me a demo, despite the fact that I bought mine brand new. I was told that they never replace spotting scopes with brand new ones.Their warranty policies left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm currently looking for a laser-rangefinding bino, and Zeiss is not on my list anymore. I have some Leica trinovids, been very happy with them, and will probably just stick with leica for now on.

As noted above, all are great scopes. I compared all you mention, as well as Leica, when I made my purchase except for the Nikon. The Swarovski 65 mm HD ATS was the best to MY EYES and ended up being my choice. Also, their warranty reputation factored in.

I had both the Swarovski 65 mm HD and the Leica 62 mm APO at my house for about a week and compared them side by side in as many situations as possible. To MY EYES the Swaro was a step ahead. I then compared the Swaro and Zeiss, this time only at the store. The Zeiss was brighter, but the Swaro seemed to have a better image for MY EYES. I keep mentioning "MY EYES" simply because your experience my be different.

Swaro Pluses: Focus mechanism, zoom eye piece, armoring, overall image, and warranty.
Zeiss Pluses: Brightest image, good price.
Leica Pluses: Great price (Doug at Cameralandny), edge to edge clarity was the best.

Test them all out as much as you can in as many situations as possible.

Thanks guys for all your help. I am going to test them all out today. I am leaning towards the Swarovski 65HD. Thanks again!!

I just pulled the trigger on a Zeiss Diascope 65MM from CameraLand, arrived two days ago. I purchased one without the LotuTech on the end lens, but the 15-45x eyepiece that Doug paired with it has the LotuTec. This spotter is amazing and to my eyes Zeiss was the clear choice. In addition, the pricing on Cameraland saved me approx $1k compared to the Swaro.

Last year I was shopping for a scope. After much research and glassing I bought the Swaro 65mm Angled and love it. I spent a couple hours at Cabelas with all of the big three on tripods looking at the mountains when I decided.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom