Spotting Scope VS The Wind

TheFever

First off, I know my tripod is cheap, so I'll just start there. but does anybody else have troubles with there scope when it's blowing? I might as well not even have it because I can't keep it still if there's any wind. Do I just need to get a better tripod? (Yes I'm assuming) But if it's just because my tripod sucks, which would you guys recommend? Or any other glassing tips for when the wind is blowing. I typically will be packing mine, so something not too bulky or heavy. Thanks boys.

Jaron

>>>---->
For the love of the game

I'm using a Vortex High Country tripod and like it. Lightweight and easy to use. When the wind is howling my scope bounces all over the place too though. I highly doubt there's any setup in the world that doesn't move around in heavy winds...??

~Z~

Shorten it up and lay down. Get behind some cover.

You have to adapt to whatever the conditions are at the time and place....or eat tag soup.

As with most things, the more you spend the better you get but the wind is a REAL problem.

One of my "tricks" is to use a rock, rather than any tripod.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

The majority of tripods have a hook or some other way of attaching weight to the center column to pull it downward. Find a small mesh bag and use a couple rocks.

I agree with never_catch
I've had 5 different tripods and the Vortex High Country tripod is the best by far

Thanks to all you hunting fools for the advice. Good luck to you all. Except Zac, you don't need luck. You've got this season on lock.

>>>---->
For the love of the game

lol what the hell ever dude I need more luck now than ever!! I've seen the hooks on some tripods to pull it down and I'm sure they would help. Laying on the ground is a great idea as well, I've definitely had to do that a bunch the past month but it's been hella windy up there!! Frustrating when you can't hold it steady zoomed all the way the way in for sure!!

~Z~

I have the High Country Tripod and love it as well. I usually, when standing, will just hang my pack from the hook, problem solved..

hanging something is a good idea. In the past, I have carried a string with me in my pack, tied the ends together, place one end on the hook and put my foot in the other end to hold it down. Works great, and its light weight. Just make sure you have enough string to go from the hook to the ground and back up. If you don't have a hook you can still tie it somewhere on the tripod.

Go with a full size carbon fiber. They are more rigid, and still light weight. I have a Vortex High County that I would sell cheap. Using the hook with weight is a really good trick to help steady.

Anything would beat mine. 400bullelk, how much would you sell it for? I'm in the Salt Lake area. You can pm if you want. Thanks.

>>>---->
For the love of the game

I've got a empty crown royal bag hanging from mine, that I put rocks in. On that vortex high cntry DONT extend the next past that seem, it will wiggle and is a weak spot. Two of mine have broke there.

>I agree with never_catch
>I've had 5 different tripods and
>the Vortex High Country tripod
>is the best by far
>

If the Vortex is the best by far, I'd hate to see what else you owned.

I've the High Country tripod. It is serviceable, but look forward to a higher quality unit in the future.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom