Spotting scope, under $1,000???

T

TheRogue

Yup, done a ton of research already online, still looking for user opinions and why.

I don't dare touch four digits with a purchase, the wife would bust a gasket. So Swaro/Leica/Zeiss are out of the question.

I have a fixed 20x by 50mm Leupy I use for a pack scope. Nice for what it's for....but low light and no zoom really don't cut it. I've been hunting more desert country, and want to be able to reach out when necessary. It would also be nice to gather more light on the dreary coastal days, that the Leupy just doesn't do that well.

Pretty sure I want the 80mm objective. I've played with the Leupy Green Ring 80mm, Nikon Prostaff 82mm, and a clearance Nikon Fieldscope 82ED. Of these three; for my eyes outside Sportsman's Warehouse, in early morning and then later in the evening, the Prostaff worked best for me.

I've heard good things about Vortex (USA), and of course there's also Minox and Pentax.

One of the important things for me is also ease of cleaning/repair/warranty. I would buy Fujinon today....I believe they have some of the best optics anywhere....except I have a set of 8x42's that I've been trying to get cleaned and serviced. There is NO contact information for Fujinon anywhere on the planet!! I finally had a place recommended to me in SoCal; where someone who barely spoke English said, Yes, we work on them, send it to me and I'll send you a repair price. No thanks.

So, of course, Leupy would go to the top of the list for that reason only (I'm less than 1hr from the factory).

Input????

TR

The Leupold HD is a good product that you might be able to pick up in that price range, but it is only a 60mm. I have heard excellent feedback about the Vortex warranty and the Skyline ED would fit for you; although, I have never personnally tried it. I really like my Pentax and dealing with them in the past has been very easy. Their PF80ed is a choice too. I really like the pf65ed I have, but it is still pretty new to me. I would suggest you call Doug and Cameraland and get his opinion. Even if you don't buy from him, his knowledge is worth the call (by the way, buy from him, you won't be disappointed with the service.) Also, I have heard of Doug following up with manufacturers when people have warranty issues.

Good Luck.

you might want to check out the cabelas big sky hd 699.00 real nice and clear little much for me

earnhardt-3-logo.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom