Spotting scope/tripod package

N

NDhunter

I have been on the fence for at least 2 years on what spotting scope to buy and have almost decided on the Swaro STS-65. Since Swarovski makes great glass I would imagine that they make a decent tripod also, but I could be wrong. Anyone out there have an opinion on the Swaro tripod? Found a package deal for sale at bearbasin which includes: STS-65 "Swarovski Tripod 2Works Package" STS 65, 20-60X Eye Piece, Deluxe Black Swarovski 2 Tripod w FH 101 Hd, Includes: Swarovski Hard Case, Swarovski Window Mount, Bogen Tripod Carrying Case, Deluxe Lens Cleaning Kit for $2,209. I hate to dump this kind of $$ on glass but the pair of EL's I bought have been worth every penny so I suppose a Swaro Spotter will be too. Anyone out there know of any better deals or something else I should look into? Thanks, NDHunter.

Swaro makes an excellent tripod, however it weighs way to much to pack around in the hills. I would recommend just going and getting a lightweight tripod from a local camera shop or at a sportinggoods store. I really don't see the necessity for the swaro tripod but that is just my opinion. Save the money and just get the spotter then look around for the acc. I don't think you can go wrong with the swaro scope, if it were me I would definetly get the 20x60 eyepiece.

pushin_30 is right, the swaro spotter is heavy and not a good choice for packin' around on your back pack. I've tried several brands of tripods and they've all worked well for me including the Walmart tripods. Slik, and Velbon are a few good lightweight tripods that I've seen people mention on this site as well as the Outdoorsmans tripod which is a very lightweight tripod. It comes down to how you plan on using your tripod. I use a heavy bogen when I'm jumping in and out of my truck when I'm looking at deer on the winter range and an Outdoorsmans when I'm backpack hunting and need light weight and sitting while I glass. Both are great at what they do and no one tripod can do it all. To answer your question, the Swarovski is a great high quality tripod and works great at what it does. Its big and heavy which makes it a good choice in heavy wind and very stable for heavy loads and you can use it while sitting or standing although it is not easy to use while sitting on the ground. I would want something different for back packing like stated above. In the long run you will probably want one of each, a heavy tripod and a small lightweight tripod. So in my opinion the combo package that you mentioned is a great deal and I would plan on getting another lightweight tripod if you are gonna hunt out of a backpack. Goodluck, fatrooster.

I thought Swarovski just came out with a carbon fiber tripod that is very lightweight? I saw something on Cristensen Arms the other day. The rep was stating that it was made for guys that want to pack in a tripod but don't want all the weight and can collapse to fit into a pack. Well what do you know?

JR

Ya, Swarovski does have one and as with everything they make it isn't cheap, I think it is over $700! I don't know how they can ask $30 for their bino buddy system when you can get the same thing at Walmart for $20 except it says "Crooked Horn" on the back vice Swarovski. I have done hardly any research on tripods, just the glass that goes on top of them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom