Spotting scope suggestions, again, yes I searched. small?

flyingbrass

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-09 AT 05:42PM (MST)[p]I'm looking for a dual purpose spotting scope for both range time up to 300 yards and one I can carry in a backpack. I will mostly use it for daytrips not weeklong treks so I'm only looking at 65mm and 50mm scopes.
I like these so far.
Swaro 20x60x60 STS
Leica 16x48x62 Televid
Zeiss 15x45x60 Diascope
Nikon 13x40not30x50ED
I don't really have to have ED/AP/HD and whatever but included it in the Nikon since it is so inexpensive.
I'm only wanting to purchase one spotting scope for the rest of my days so I want to do it right and not skimp. I'm having trouble deciding due to weight and performance more than cost issues. It seems that when I have used a spotter that most all the time it is turned to about 20 power looking at game and all the way up looking at holes in paper.
Downside to the Swaro 65mm is the weight. It is so much heavier. I assure you that I'm greatful for all suggestions because I've read about everything in the world on hunting forums about spotters and the more I read the more I get confused. I'd consider a used one but I'd like it now since I'm about ready to start some serios shooting. FWIW, I usually purchase Leica products over others but always try to keep an open mind an make my decisions based on the niche I'm trying to fill.
While were at it you can add your opinions on tripods/heads as well. Again I only want to buy it once.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

I have seen some great deals on the 62mm Leica Televid spotting scopes... the new models are coming out and the older model has some huge savings. I like the APO/HD/ED models.... but that is my preference. NJS

I don't think you can go wrong with any on your list. When I purchased mine I actually bought the top two, and narrowed it down to one after a week on my deck. It has been my experience that optical performance in the store should not be confused with optical performance in the field. I know some stores will go outside with you and let you test them out, but it took hours and days to find the best one for my eyes.

FWIW I don't think the actual weights are much different between the S L Z units. Sometimes the weights in catalogs and websites do, or do not, include the eyepiece.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom