spotting scope help

B

bmax

I'm looking at purchasing a spotting scope in the near future and wanted to ask for pro's/con's and just general opinions. I've narrowed my field down to Nikon EDIII fieldscope 60mm 20X-60X and Nikon ED50 15X30. The application would primarily be for backpack hunting high country mule deer. So right out the gate this is where my concern is: the EDIII weighs twice as much, is bulkier, and sports a heftier price tag. Is the larger objective and more powerful zoom worth the initial con's? Please feel free to give your opinion/elaborate/share you experience. Thanks in advance. R/bryan

You'll see it said everywhere you look, optics are one of your number one tools. Get the best you can afford and are willing to pack. I've similarly tossed around whether or not it's worth packing the big heavy glass but I'm constantly reminded that quality optics pay.

Larger objective equals more light gathering in low light conditions. When will you most likely be able to spot the buck you're after? Low light.

There's my two cents.

I just bought a big spotter, an 80mm. It is big for sure, but I am loving it. In my opinion, it is worth the extra size for the better light and clarity. Price is probably the big difference maker. I'm not sure what the price spread is but I'm guessing that its significant. I wouldn't worry about the size or weight difference, but the price is what I would look hard at. Will the extra 500-1000 be worth it?

I own the nikon 50ed strictly for backpacking and it is the best you can buy for the size. The short focal length only yeilds 30x max magnification, however for most high country applications it will suffice. The optics are great.

+1 on the ED 50. Great little scope. Save a few pennies later and if you can afford and find one get the 27x wide angle eyepiece for it. The original zoom eyepiece is good glass, the other just gives a much wider field of view at a higher magnification. Brighter than the other at a similar magnification as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom