Spotting Scope HELP, Please........

S

Slide

Oh right guys, I know this has been discussed and discussed over and over but I really need help. I know some of you are tired of the debate but I really need help buying the right scope. I have been reaserching the different brands and I even went and looked at a couple this weekend, one of them being the Swarovski 20x60.

If you were going to buy a new spotting scope and was willing to spend up to $1600.00 which one would you buy and why? I live in an area that makes it tough to look at all the different brands so I have to buy over the phone and I want to make sure I buy the right scope.

Your opinions and experience would be very much appreciated.

Slide

I have the Swarovski 20x60x65 STS and I looked through it and a few others before I bought this one. It was a hazy day with some sunlight and was still able to see inside the large bay windows of a house on the hillside at the ocean town where I bought mine, nice house too. LOL
I have had mine since 2002 and it was a lot cheaper than now, the longer you wait the more the price will go up.

Brian

I would go with the Swarovski 65mm w/ 20-60 lens. I prefer the ATS vs. the STS. I think the ATS has a lot of advantages with very few disadvantages vs. the STS. Just my opinion.

You cant go wrong with the swarovski. The only thing you need to ask yourself is if you are ever going to wish you had the 80. I lost sleep over the whole thing when I was deciding which scope to get. Nothing wrong with the 65 but for me I new I would always wonder if I should have got the 80, so I did!!! Oh, by the way, hands down, go with the ATS. No neck fatigue, very comfortable. JMO

Another thing to think about is, no mater how good a spotting scope is, it's designed for use with one eye, and I don't care who you are or how much you spent, they aren't very comfortable to use for long periods of time, so I don't believe you get the same dividend with a high end spotter as you do with a high end binocular.

One more vote for Swaro. I have the HD version of the 65mm, but all I hear is that the non-HD version has no diff other than when Digiscoping(taking Pics). You will never regret it.

If you are planning on spending that kind of money on scopes you should definitely look at swaro, lieca or Zeiss(I have never looked through a Zeiss but heard they were nice)

I have been hashing all the specs between the 65 amd 80 ats swaro for a month or so. My wife wants me to buy the 80, she even bought me the stay on case for the 80, but I can't decide if the extra weight brings that much benefit.

I am pretty sure I am going to get the 65 HD but before I lay down the money I am going to go to cabela's and look through both of them side by side in the evening. Unless the 80 gets me DRASTICALLY more time I will be getting the 65

I have thought it over and changed my mind enough times. I wan't a scope that packs as easily as possible.

Now on to tripod setups

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Hey guys, I'm seriously looking at the new Nikon Fieldscope III ED, all the optic guys I have talked to except one says it is a great glass. I looked through the Swarovski 60mm and was not as awed as I had expected to be.

What do you think or know about the Nikon ED?

Slide

Hey, fellas thanks for all the input I really appreciate it. When a guy is laying down this kind of cash it sure helps to get some assistance.

Maybe I'll just say the heck with it and buy the shotgun, now which one the Benelli or Beretta (JK).....

I am also in the market for a new scope, and went to local store and compared the scopes, the swaro like usual is great and one of the top, but at the low-light time the Nikon ProStaff spotting scope was brighter and was as clear or even clearer than the swaro, i would recommend the Nikon especially for 3 times the difference in price.

Bought the fieldscope III two years ago, sold it after I got back from hunting. I have a Leica now, it might be good for watching birds but there is clarity issues on the edge and field of view on higher powers. It is more true in optics than anything else, you get what you pay for. Step up and spend the money that way you won't be dissapointed.

Rich

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom