Spotters: Swaro HD vs Zeiss Diascope

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
Based on some ratings on birding websites I purchased the Zeiss 85MM in July as I was doing alot of scouting for my sons Elk tag. Well I have spent at least 200 hours glassing. I found the Zeiss very large, very difficult to get the 20-60x eyepiece on and off, and blurry on the edges. The center of the FOV was good, but not enough. I found a great deal on a 65MM Swaro HD, glass plus eyepiece NIB for $1860 + tax. I bought it. Man what a difference. Much lighter, easy to add and remove the eyepiece, and clear as a bell from edge to edge. The only advantage I would say the Zeiss had was the fine focus nob.

I now own Swaro in 8x30SLC, 15x56SLC, and 65MM HD Spotter and I couldn't be happier with any of them. My only regret is that I spent so long with low dollar glass and while it is alot of money in the end you will probably spend just as much trying out the rest, when if you just do it and buy the best you won't regret it.

BPK, I also found that the Zeiss was not clear to the edges. I agree, buy the best and in the end you won't regret it. fatrooster.

I bought the Zeiss 65mm diascope a couple of months ago and my brother has the Swarovski 65mm. We took them out for a comparison. In regular daylight there was no noticable difference. They felt different to look through because of the eye relief but no difference in clarity or brightness. Now as dusk set in and the mountain became full of shadows and dark spots there was a great differnce in the scopes. I put them side by side on the same power and the Zeiss was much brighter and clearer. I told my brother what was going on and he said "bull Swarovski is the best, let me look". I let him check them out side by side and he said holy hell you are right. Zeiss hands down no questions asked was alot brighter and clearer. And this is coming from someone who was stuck on how great Swarovskis are. Don't get me wrong, Swarovskis are great but if you want the absolute brightest and clearest get a Zeiss. And to boot they are cheaper, go figure.

I was looking through my Swaro 15X56's Monday night trying to find a buck for my son this weekend. Spent about 30-40 minutes in the glasses, looking 400-1200 yards away. When I looked around, it was dark! Could still see well @ 500 yards through the glasses but not 75 with the naked eye, wow was I impressed.

Not a spotter though.

Desertmulies,

I was so disappointed with the Zeiss that I thought it might be a flaw in the unit I purchased. I had read good things, except for the occasional concern on edge to edge clarity. I can't love the Swaro's enough.

Califelkslayer,

This is my second season with my 15x's. They were my first high class glass and I wore them on a bino system and used them as my everyday bino's until I bought my 8x30 slc's this year. This made me start using them on my tripod even more. Man what a difference. The extra clarity with the super-steady hold sure allows you to pick things apart. Yes I am amazed at the light gathering abilities with the 56mm lenses.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom