Spot Messenger

Zim

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-11 AT 10:08AM (MST)[p]Has anyone used on of these Spot Messengers? Have you been satisfied?

I like the concept but I only hunt in remote areas out west one or two weeks a year so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I tried calling them but gave up after 30 minutes on hold listening to elevator music. The way I understand it is you pay $100 for the unit then a yearly fee of $100 for basic service? Is that correct?

About $150 for the cell phone adaptible unit. I have it and when there is no coverage you can still send text messages up to 40 characters with no problem. You cannot send but can receive. I think it is worth it just for the 911 portion of it and to let the family know all is well if in the wilds of the world. I did have the Delorme GPS that is compatible with the SPOT unit and did not like it and went to the SPOT with a cell phone app.

I have one that my wife/father in law bought for me. So far, I seem to be good at forgetting it and leaving it home. My wife has used it to test it out, so far I have not played with it much. But, it seems like a good idea and I will make sure to take it with me in the future...

Zim, I have had one for 2 years and never had an issue with it. At least if I don't check in, someone has a starting point to go looking for me!

I've been using one for three years now and never had a problem with it. I got it to give my wife some peace of mind, it works. I've only had two messages that didn't send and I rectified that by leaving the unit on for a minute or so after I send the message, since I started doing that I haven't had any issues. Don't bother with the tracker, it's not worth the extra $50.

I have spot and pay for the basic service and the tracker. Wife and parents can track progress on my hunts. Its neat and haven't had any problems with it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom