Split Rock Bighorn Sheep?

elks96

Long Time Member
I heard mention that they are thinking about transplanting sheep into the Split Rock area and towards Jeffery City.

Anyone have any information? Status of the proposal? Where is it heading etc.?

I was curious as this weekend we spent time in the Sweet Water Canyon Wilderness Study ares and it feels like a good area for some sheep as well. But I think they still domestic sheep too close…

I heard mention that they are thinking about transplanting sheep into the Split Rock area and towards Jeffery City.

I was curious as this weekend we spent time in the Sweet Water Canyon Wilderness Study ares and it feels like a good area for some sheep as well. But I think they still domestic sheep too close…
Allot of lions in those rock piles...

Daryl Lutz the Wildlife Management Coordinator in your local G&F office can fill you in a lot better than this forum.

Daryl Lutz the Wildlife Management Coordinator in your local G&F office can fill you in a lot better than this forum.
Yeah I will track him down and see what he has to say…. I was just hoping there was a quick link or article I did not know about…

There are a few. We cut a track on the sweet water in the WSA this weekend as well…
yea they're tough to catch in there. Rough country to run dogs in. They'll put a hurting on them sheep if they do that I'm sure

How different is it from area 19? Lots of mt lions in there too and sheep are doing fine.

How different is it from area 19? Lots of mt lions in there too and sheep are doing fine.
It's just rock piles out in the prarie no where else
for the sheep to really go not much other terrain. Same for catching the lions not much easy terrain for the dogs to get the jump on them its a rough run the whole time. It can and has been done but the conditions are always rough the rocks don't hold snow well and it's always windy

Last edited:

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom