southwest desert pronghorn

J

johnswan

I was hoping someone out there could help me out. I screwed up when I put in for antelope and I ended up drawing a tag in this area of which I know very little about. I was planning on doing some scouting but I have no idea where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Go west of Milford on the highway and just keep driving. There is antelope right off the highway and plenty of dirt roads that spur off the highway. Should be easy no scouting necessary.

Thank you Deer! That will save me a ton in time and gas money coming from salt lake, I really appreciate it.

There are antelope all over there. Last fall while elk hunting some of the best antelope I saw were in the north end of hamblin valley basically due west of mountain home and near the nevada border. I think most hunters don't get that far out because they run into antelope long before they get out there. That's where I'd start and I've drawn 2 antelope and 2 elk tags for that unit over the years.

Might want to even try the back way to Milford from SLC . Just south of Delta on the way to Milford there would be some speed goats there as well. Just make sure they are on the west side of the road. Or try taking your golf clubs and shoot a round of golf and goat off the Milford golf course.

Good luck, I'm jealous. The thing about that unit is it can be hell on tires. One trip out I had three flats and another time I had two. I would take 2 spares a 12 volt compressor and plug kit because if you do have problems there probably won't be much help.

Just got back from an elk hunt there. Saw most of the pronghorn in the clearings located within the cedars/pinyons. Including a couple of decent bucks. I drove up and down Hamblin Valley Rd a lot and never noticed any lopes. But I was also driving mainly at dark.

Thanks to all of you guys! Utah sure has some great people. So where were the cedars/pinions? Closer to Milford? Or around the Nevada border? Again thanks for any info . . .

The bucks don't get big around Milford. They get poached way before that. Seriously you will find them everywhere from the valleys to up high. The cedars are mostly the foothills.

if I wanted a big buck, I would start in the out of way areas. If I was happy with a 12"-14" decent buck I would just go for a Sunday drive. If I wanted a good eating buck I would go get permission to hunt hayfields out near Zane, which I've done a couple times.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom