Some questions about Utah???

A

a3dhunter

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-08 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]1. I am looking at bowhunting the southeast area for mule deer at the end of August, I am interested in getting some info about the hunting in thsi part of the state.
The closer to Colorado the better, since I am coming from Texas.

2. Another guy asked if you can hunt both mulies and elk at the same time in archery season in Utah??? (and I didn't know the answer)

3. Are the general archery tags still going to be available in June on a first come first serve basis?

4. If I already have a preference point for deer, will I lose it if I buy an general archery tag.

5. To take another prefeerence point for the general season tag, is it $65 hunting license plus $10 for the PP?

I will plan two weeks for this hunt so I am looking at some direction on where to start my research.
Thank you

1.The North slope is as good a place as any...look at Lyman lake, Meeks Cabin Res...or Elizabeth Mnt. it is kind of crowded though..

2.Yes, this year the elk and deer archery season start on the same day...

3.yes, but you need to get them as close to the day they go on sale because they usualy sale out in the first week or so.

4. not if you buy your tag in june after the draw, if you apply during the draw you will lose it.

5. Yes, $65 for the license and $10 for the app fee

OOPS.. I thought you said Northeast instead you said Southeast...cancel reply #1...

alot of the southeast is LE and private...

Sorry, cant help you out there.

If Im not too far off I also believe that the San Juan is LE for both Deer and Elk...

The southeast unit has a 5 day hunt season for deer also so maybe you shouldnt plan a 2 week vacation until you draw a LE tag.

I dont know much about the area south of Montecello, but do know alittle about the area between Moab and Montecello.

if Blanding Boy or Blacktimber is around they are the ones to chat with...

The closest place I'm aware of is the LaSal Mtns near Moab. I've never hunted it, but I hear there are lots of people, both hunters and recreational users. It's a LE elk area, but you can get a spike-only tag if you want to hunt elk too.

The area northwest of Price and south to I-70 is huntable on a General tag too, again popular for hunters and others.

I'd take the 2 weeks, find some National Forest and start walking and glassing. I'd also start applying for an LE tag. I've hunted the SE most of my life and it's gotten pretty bad as far as I'm concerned, but we still get lucky sometimes! Maybe it's just that I moved to Colorado and learned what big game hunting is supposed to be like!

NOCHAWK- I already stated archery general season, which isn't a 5 day hunt and it isn't an LE tag.
The season runs August 16-Sept 12 in 08'.
I am looking for info on areas out of Monticello(east of the San Juan/Elk ridge area) or La Sal on national forest land.
Thanks though.
If anyone has hunted over there please help me out on this info. and you can pm me if you would rather do it that way.

NickJ, that may end up what I get to do. Just start hiking and go from there.

The Abajo Moutains are outside of the LE deer area and are open to general archery hunting. They are very steep, but at least you can glass. Can't say it is a great area for deer, but you will see some. The roads are good if they are dry, camping in some areas is regulated because of watershed. Deer will be scattered from the top to the bottom. I think it is closed to spike hunting for elk. You will see a lot of bulls, but will need to draw a LE tag.

The Lasal mountains will be crowded, but like anywhere else you can walk some and get away from most of the people. On the lasals I would go high, but that is just me. Roads are also good, except when wet and they get slick really fast. It is also a LE area for elk, but I believe spike elk hunting is allowed.

Those are the two main areas that come to mind. Anywhere Northeast and East of the Elkridge unit will hold deer. In some areas you will have private to contend with, but a good BLM map will show you the boundaries.

If I were making the trip I would come at least 4 days before the season. Use my maps to put me on vantage points to glass and be ready for opening day.

3toes, thanks for the info.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to get there before the season opens. I will probably arrive the wednesday after teh season opens and stay for two weeks.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom