Solution to bolt coming open

B

bucklover

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-12 AT 07:13AM (MST)[p]Thought this might help some of you. If you have a rifle with a bolt that doesn't lock down when on safe, it can be a pain. When carrying it over your shoulder, sometimes the bolt can catch on clothing, brush, etc., and open without you knowing it. Mine is a Remington action. I came up with a solution to the problem. Go buy one of those small looped bungie cord things, ( the ones with a little plastic balls that slip over where the knot is tied). Slide it over the front of your scope and give it one complete wrap on the scope. Let the bungie hang down the opposite side of the rifle from your bolt. Grab the plastic ball and stretch the bungie under the the magazine, up the other side of the gun, and pop it over the bolt knob. You may have to adjust the length of the bungie to a proper fit. This very effectively holds the bolt down, but can be quickly removed by grabbing the plastic ball and slipping it off the bolt. Because it is double wrapped on the scope you don't have to worry to much about it falling off when it isn't stretched on the bolt. Hope this might help some of you that had this same problem.

SELL THAN WINCHESTER AND BUY A REAL RIFLE !!! JUST KIDDIN BUCKLOVER......YOUR SOLUTION WILL HELP MANY. I KNOW THE PROBLEM, MY BUDDY HAS A WINCHESTER...............YD.

Yukon.... Take a breath.
Winchester rifles with the three position safety don't have this problem. It is typically associated with Remington rifles as the OP stated. Any bolt rifle without a safety that locks the bolt can suffer from this issue. Sure, buy a Winchester or Kimber and solve this problem. But for most this is a simple, cost effective solution.
Bill

I pack remington, never had a problem..

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I think bucklover is hunting way too hard. haha

My Rems are about half and half. Half have the old type bolt lock safety and half have the new type. I've still never had a problem.

Funky but functional fix though. Thanks.
Zeke

>Yukon.... Take a breath.
>Winchester rifles with the three position
>safety don't have this problem.
>It is typically associated with
>Remington rifles as the OP
>stated. Any bolt rifle without
>a safety that locks the
>bolt can suffer from
>this issue. Sure, buy a
>Winchester or Kimber and solve
>this problem. But for most
>this is a simple, cost
>effective solution.
>Bill

That is correct. It's why i luv m70's. When you are all the way back in the third postion the bolt will not open.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom