Solo hunting camp

B

BBND

Hi,

I'm just wondering what you solo hunters do at night to pass the time when you're back at camp?

I find the nights always get so long when it gets dark around 6 and it's even worse when it gets really cold.

Going to try and find a good book, but I'm not much for reading hours on end and I can only sleep for about 6 hours, so there's usually plenty of time to waste before breakfast.

I know it's a stupid question, but I'm curious.

Taking one or two Tylenol PMs, or something similar, helps a lot with how much sleep you can squeeze out of a night.

A small am/fm/sw/ssb radio. Lots of stations to choose from and very compact.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

+2 on the Tylenol PM's.

I take my phone and play games, or read books, or send texts, (if I have service).

The Tylenol PM's help ALOT.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the responses.

I'm going to try the Tylenol PM. Hadn't ever thought of that, will definitely make for more comfortable sleeping.

Seems thru the years that i usually have my cabover camper to come back to after hunting so i have the makings with me to do as i do at home. I like a big meal for dinner and i like to cook. After dinner, the stove area cleaned up and my rifle wiped down, i like nothing better than to climb up in the warm cozy rack to a good book. If i need the sleep, i too use the PM meds. Works for me!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

JUDAS!:D

>A rubber dolly...

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

>>A rubber dolly...
>
>
>Haha, ok. Does Cabelas make an
>outfitter series model?

Ya but B and C rack will cost ya extra!

Next your going to tell me it'll cost extra to get one that doesn't think everything I say is wrong and that I hunt too much.

A good book, projects. After I killed my deer this month, I worked on my antelope hide from a few days prior. Turning it into buckskin. Take a bucket of brass that needs worked on. A press can be mounted about anywhere with some c clamps and you can resize a lot of brass in no time with no distractions.

Magazines/cards/cut firewood if ya can burn.

For me its easy, I take horses. Feeding/watering and just giving them attention kills a lot of time

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-14 AT 05:30AM (MST)[p]>Next your going to tell me
>it'll cost extra to get
>one that doesn't think everything
>I say is wrong and
>that I hunt too much.
>

These are true to life models only so that option doesn't exist!

Seriously though, when the horses are tended and the sun is gone and there's no one to talk to, I use that time to think. I look back on the past year, I think about my future, and I clean up the junk in my head. Now i know plenty of guys that this scenario would drive them plumb crazy, but it's cleansing for me. I think its partly from all the time I spent alone 20 ft up a tree in minnesota waitin on whitetails growin up. And partly due to the way I'm wired, I'm ok with it. In fact I look fwd to it! Got a solo deer hunt comin up mid oct, can't wait!

I can imagine the night does go by pretty quickly tending to your animals. Unfortunately, I don't have any.

I'm with you 100% on spending some time thinking about choices made over the past year, how I can positively influence my kids, where and how I should hunt the next day, etc.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think there will be less waking at 3 am and sitting by the fire until go time mornings this year!

Ideally, I'll have a skull to work on the first night for the next few days, but I know better than to count on that!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom