Solo Hunt Question

TerynItUp

I am still a pretty young guy (25) and have yet to do a solo backpacking hunt. If I cant manage to draw a tag in my home state next year I think I am planning on doing a solo OTC archery elk trip in a Colorado Wilderness.

My question is, do you ever worry about leaving your rig at a trailhead or off a road somewhere? I know that most sportsmen are pretty good people but there are a few bad apples everywhere you go. Anyone ever had vandalism or theft leaving there truck behind?

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Just do what i do and drive junk. Or you could leave a couple of car seats and diapers laying on the seats. Maybe a few gummy bears stuck in your cd.

Thief's know you don't have any money with that kind of crap laying in plain sight.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-12 AT 04:30PM (MST)[p]Mostly in Nev, Colo, and Wy, 40 years of going, i have left my truck parked along my access point from day trips to a couple weeks at a time and never once had a problem. Keep your stuff out of sight, locked up, and i like to leave my card on the dash in plain sight so i'm not just another unknown hunter if someone is that interested.

Yes, i suppose that i've been lucky but if you want to go, one doesn't often have a lot of choice in where and how to leave your rig.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I'd dare say a vehicle is 100 or 1,000 times more likely to be screwed with in your average Walmart parking lot. My bigger concern is whether or not it is going to turn over when I get back assuming I am alone.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Take a taxi/shuttle.....call them back when you are done.

I have never been to an area with a wilderness trailhead that did not have this service available and the rates can be VERY competitive, especially during the hiker "off" season.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

I've been leaving my truck at trailheads,pullouts,and tucked back out of sight for 35+ years while hunting.Never had a problem,yet. Keep stuff out of sight,covered.Also I check with local LEO's when in a new area or out of state.There are places in the Sierras,UT,and spots here in NM where I would not.

I do the same as Sageadvise. I leave my card in the window with a note that says if anyone wants to see pic.s or find out how I did, just call. Worked so far.

Never had problem either. I do collect any valuables I have left, put them in my bowcase, and hide it under a log with a tarp over it. Then I sprinkle garbage & dirty socks around in my jeep, just in case.

Member RMEF, UBNM, UWC & the SFW Hate Club

People breaking in is the least of your worries. Marmots and other rodents getting in and eating your wiring is a big concern for me when I leave my truckweeks at a time. We had a chipmunk break in a few years ago and eat an entire weeks worth of backpacking food. We came back to resupply and it was all gone. This was locked in a jeep Cherokee. I still can't figure out how he got in there.
4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

I,ve never had a problem with leaving my truck, but dont expect not to worry about your truck and every other thing in your life on your first solo backcountry hunt.

Since your hunting in your home state, no problems. Now, if you're from CA and going the one of the big four, I'd worry and pull my plates off before I left it.

I'm not sure what you are referring to the "Big Four" but i am hunting a bunch in and have, near every year for a long time, hunted out out of State, am from Cali with Cali plates, and still, i've never had one bit of real trouble or had anything disturbed or stolen.

When i travel, i'm always on my best behavior as i feel a privileged guest in the State i'm hunting...similar to being invited to a friends for dinner.

I know stuff does happen to rigs occasionally and certain areas are worse than others but i generally won't let that keep me home. I cannot abide a thief, God help him who steals from me and i catch them in the act. I generally say i don't want to catch someone as, is it worth going to prison for the rest of one's life? I don't believe so, but...just steal from someone else or better yet, not at all!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I've never had a problem while hunting, even on extended outings. I have been broken into twice while the truck sat in my driveway! Maybe I need better neighbors!

I still worry every time I leave it in the field for much over a day. Mostly because I want a ride home. I usually have nothing of value left in the truck when I walk away.

Zeke

Best thing to do is talk to guys who have hunted or hiked in the area. Most of us can't abide thievery and if it's an issue in a particular area you'll hear about it, most guys I know may not hand you their honey holes but will definately let you know if there is something to watch out for.

I haven't had any problems yet over the past 5 years or so. I do worry a little since I leave a vehicle at the trailhead for several days at a time. I worry even more because its always a rental car with out of state plates. Unfortunately I've run into several residents (mainly in WY) over the past couple years that made it very clear they were not happy with non residents hunting in their area. I guess its a risk that we take but I hope to never have my vehicle broken into or vandalized.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-12 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]Appreciate the input. I like the idea of leaving a business card and inviting anybody to call and see how the hunt went.

If all else fails I guess I could just go for the ole' toothpaste underneath the door handle trick.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom