SODIS water treatment

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Have you seen this? I just read about it in one of my hunting magazines.

SODIS is an acronym for SLOar water DISinfection. It's a way to sanitize water naturally. While other purification methods use boiling, ceramic filters, chemicals or electronically produced UV, SODIS uses the natural UV-A in sunlight to eliminate any dangerous viruses, bacteria, and common protozoa in drinking water, including Giarda and Cryptosporidia.

All that's needed a clear, enclosed container. Most common is the disposable drinking water bottles made from polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE) plastic.

In short you just fill a plastic bottle with water from a creek or lake, or wherever, and let it set in the sun for 6 hours. At that time it's safe to drink.

Here are a couple links. Be sure to check it out because I didn't take the time to give all the info. THERE ARE SOME VARIABLES.

I think this would be great for backpackers. I had no idea. I would rather take some empty plastic bottles with me than a water purifier.

http://www.sodis.ch/index_EN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

Of course, as usual, I may be the only one who hasn't heard of this.:)

Eel

Bet Ya it doesn't cure all water?

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Ain't them the same bottles they think causes Cancer?

Cool!
While on long roadtrips, I hate going into town for something insignificant.

I see bottles of spring water purifying along the roadside all the time.

How refreshing!

:)

trucker-bombm2-300x199.jpg

Hey HH!!!

That's known as the CUPSY Bomb!:D

So if we see an 'Aged' Piss Bomb that's turned clear that means We're good to go,Right?

Think I'll pass!:D

Good Gawd!

The 'GREENIES' should love a Natural Reverse Osmosis System!:D

Just so BBop understands!

This is what you do with your water BEFORE you drink it, not AFTER you drink it.

Sorry for any confusion BBop!}>

Eel

Cody Lundin outlines this in his book. "When all Hell breaks Loose". Seems like a neat idea, and would work in a survival situation. They actually make a purification system now that uses very strong UV light and disenfects water in about 30 seconds. Also if the water is murky or sediment filled and on cloudy days, it may take twice as long with the SODIS method.

Good point trealtree. You can also filter the water through a mesh of some sort to get rid of the big chunks. A coffee filter would probably work fine.

The 'GREENIES' should love a Natural Reverse Osmosis System!

Damn, back in 1992 I had a Reverse Osmosis System Mud Bath and Massage for my 50th Birthday....maybe that is my problem now...LOL Damn GREENIES.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom